Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 AM

Do we figure that the factory barrels are good enough to turn back and re chamber? I have a VSSF and it doesn't shoot well. Was thinking of trying to do something with it and wondering about just trying this first.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
Do we figure that the factory barrels are good enough to turn back and re chamber? I have a VSSF and it doesn't shoot well. Was thinking of trying to do something with it and wondering about just trying this first.
From my experience, NO! I did it to two of them, a skinny chrome moly on a Model 7 and the fluted stainless one on their top of the line, zero freebore reamer. In both cases it was a total waste of time, money and reloading components . Get a custom barrel. Buy once, cry once
On another note, your action is like gold with that special fireball bolt. :-)

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 03-23-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Supporting Member

As HP rightly mentioned, it is definitely a big-time crap shoot to redo a factory barrel. If your a smith and can do it yourself it's worth trying but if a guy is paying $$$, it is for sure a 3 to 4 hundred dollar gamble, it was only a couple hundred a clatter when I did it.
I've actually had Gre'Tan re-chamber three factory barrels over the years. All three were carefully broken-in cause I'm a break-in guy so I knew how they cleaned and felt to a cleaning patch, all were good that way. Also, all three had loads developed that shot 1/2 inch-ish 5 shot groups stock. All three were quite successful and worked out but a lotta work went in to testing em before I shook the dice. They are a CZ Varmint Kevlar .204 rechambered with a snug no-turn neck, zero free-bore and a minimum spec chamber. Number two was a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet that became a .22 K-Hornet with the same type of chamber as above and the real crap shoot of the three even though it shot well stock, was in my opinion that .17 Fireball VSF Remington that again got the same kind of chambering. I got lucky on all three but all three also had the actions totally worked over by Greg so they'd be ready for quick a re-barrel if the experiment flopped, that always helps .
In spite of my getting lucky it sure isn't something I'd recommend or will even do again cause I figure a guy only draws so many aces in a row and my luck has to be about used up, also the price to play has doubled and I'm not that much of a gambler. Just my opinions .
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
From my experience, NO! I did it to two of them, a skinny chrome moly on a Model 7 and the fluted stainless one on their top of the line, zero freebore reamer. In both cases it was a total waste of time, money and reloading components . Get a custom barrel. Buy once, cry once
On another note, your action is like gold with that special fireball bolt. :-)
Good to know. Now to just figure out who makes a decent 17 cal barrel!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
Good to know. Now to just figure out who makes a decent 17 cal barrel!
Have a Lilja and a Shilen. They both are accurate. PacNor makes them also but have no experience with their .17s but have other calibers by them and they shoot very well. Don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. Suggest a 9 twist so you can stabilize the 30s.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 03-25-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ireball#UNREAD
Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
Same one:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...53#msg36551953
Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 AM

I've had several Pac-Nor barrels in 17 cal, plus 14, 19, 20 and 243 cals. Couldn't fault any, and every one delivered on time or early. My next one will be a Pac-Nor.
Ken.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Default 17fb

I set my barrel back a thread and moved the chamber forward to headspace with my Kiff reamer. Now it shoots well under an inch if I can do my part.
Aloha, Mark