Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM

As far as I know, Wilson made/makes Match barrels and made/makes military barrels, or at least what I was told 20 year ago. I have two ARs I built back in '93 using Wilson military barrels, both have NATO chambers and shoot pretty darn well. I also have two M70 Winchester HVSS rifles, and was told that Winchester used Wilson Match SS barrels for those rifles. I am not a BR competitor, but both rifles do shoot in the low 3's with my varmint/target handloads loads when I am paying attention. The 3 Coopers I have perform identically.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Supporting Member

Was loking for a "cheap" barrel for a wildcat I was building and didn't want to spend a small fortune on a barrel and not be happy with the finished product.
Was looking for a .270 for my 6.8 BR project and got turned on to a couple of Wilson barrels for sale at Gun Broker. Bid on both but only ended up with one. (better than nothing )
Shipped it to my man and had it chambered. He montioned it was "junk" because it wasn't lapped? Funny how some older guys get things stuck in their heads and won't change, no matter what.
Turns out it's is one of by better barrels. Deadly accurate and cleans up like a dream. Not lapped?? Never would know the difference if no one told me.
Barrel cost me $125.00.
Wilson is kinda like Douglas, E.R. Shaw and Green Mountain. You don't hear too much about them but they've been around for a long time and make quality barrels at a "super" price. Shooting 1/2" groups without too much trouble.
I've been pretty lucky. Over the years, never had a dud.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Hey BCB, don't tell um where I live.
Brooks, it might be every old man for himself. We're easy to identify and we don't move very fast anymore...................

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 PM

Nor Cal Mikie, That GunBroker seller is still selling barrels that I believe were made by Wilson. See links below.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=461544211

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=462303674
Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM

OT slightly but I called Wilson to buy a few ar-15 barrels and the owner was so cocky with me that after I hung up I called another company and purchased the barrels I needed. When I paid of r them they told me they were Wilsons and cheaper.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point5guy View Post
The Wilson barrels that come on Coopers are not the same quality as top shelf barrels from other manufacturers. If you want the best quality barrel on your rifle have them put a Shilen select match, Krieger, Lilja or any of the other top level barrels. There is a difference that’s worth paying for. While you’ve got the barrel off have the action trued as well.
Please share what knowledge you have that verifies your statement.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 AM

I guess I need to send them ol COOPERS back and have some real good barrels put on!! The VarTarg seems to want to shoot wacky some days!! Only manages yo stay in the low .3's............maybe the action needs truing also! And then there is the 20 TAC.........what a dog!! It shot 10, 5 shot groups at one outing that averaged .263!!! Sorry damn barrel again.....and probably needs the action trued also!! And then there is the on in 22PPC. Wonder how much better than .033" a Lilja barrel on the same action could shoot? And .1's with that one are absolutely the norm!! Damn sorry barrels and machine work it must be!! And the .260 Rem Model 22??????????? No need to write about that one! It is too big of a caliber to be talked about here!! But to say it has done a lot of groups that measure about like it's caliber designation will suffice!! I wonder how many COOPERS with those sorry Wilson barrels the person who dislikes them so much has!! GHD
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Devastation View Post
I guess I need to send them ol COOPERS back and have some real good barrels put on!! The VarTarg seems to want to shoot wacky some days!! Only manages yo stay in the low .3's............maybe the action needs truing also! And then there is the 20 TAC.........what a dog!! It shot 10, 5 shot groups at one outing that averaged .263!!! Sorry damn barrel again.....and probably needs the action trued also!! And then there is the on in 22PPC. Wonder how much better than .033" a Lilja barrel on the same action could shoot? And .1's with that one are absolutely the norm!! Damn sorry barrels and machine work it must be!! And the .260 Rem Model 22??????????? No need to write about that one! It is too big of a caliber to be talked about here!! But to say it has done a lot of groups that measure about like it's caliber designation will suffice!! I wonder how many COOPERS with those sorry Wilson barrels the person who dislikes them so much has!! GHD
It appears the groundhog is out of hibernation...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 PM

I know that in 2007-2008 Cooper was using some barrels from McGowen Barrel out of Kalispell. I saw pallets of them there ready for shipping when I was discussing the design and production for a clever quick change small bolt action that I was bidding on producing the bottom metal for..

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Wilson barrel quality ?

It appears to me, from all the posts and comments on Cooper Arms and the accuracy of their rifles, that is matters not which barrel maker they are using, they all shoot very accurate, for Cooper and their rifles. I see some saying they use Wilson, shielen, McGowen, etc, etc. Each post seems to have info or have seen said barrels on pallets, stock, etc. So what does it matter and why bad mouth one barrel maker over another. Everyone has a personal preference, but it appears they all do the job. Just wondering Has anyone actually confirmed, with cooper what barrel or barrels they use. Bill K