Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-20-2015, 01:21 AM

Default Model Seven in 17 Fireball

I seem to remember reading something a few months ago that Remington will be releasing the Model Seven in 17 Fireball again.

I can't seem to find any reference to it now but I beleive it was around SHOT show. Does anybody else remember this or have any idea of when this will happen? The Remington site still lists the Model Seven in 17 Fireball as discontinued.

Spencer
Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 AM

I too am interested in a Model 7 in 17 FB. The post on here was that Remington had announced at the 2015 Shot show that they would be making it again this year. According to the press release the 17 FB would be made in the Predator camo model with the fluted barrel. Remington's site does not list it yet so I was going to call customer service to see when it might be available. I'll post what I find out.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 AM
Supporting Member

Maybe Big Green once again pulled the plug on a great round a bit early. Go figure, Remington doing something really foolish, who'd a ever thought ???
Be nice to see this one resurrected, it deserves it .
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 AM

I think it would be excellent for a 20 Vartarg build. All of the extractions issues are solved by starting with a fireball action.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 AM

I "had" three Rem factory fireballs. The freebores were not conducive to any decent handloads. I couldn't get any 20gr to touch the lands and the 25s weren't much better. Shot Bergers, Hornadys, Nagels, Kindlers, Speers, yada yada and same with a bunch of different powders. Neither shot better than inch and a half at 100. Two hundred was an exercise in futility. They also were copper mines. Shoot ten to twenty rounds and scrub for an hour. It wasn't long after that I swapped out the barrels on my Model 7 and 700. I sold one that I never shot, the triangle barrel job, because it had the same freebore issue. I'm now down to 3/8" at 100 and any chuck within 300 is DRT.

My two cents? IMHO, these days, since Remington was taken over by vulture capitalists, they've gone downhill bigtime and one would be better off getting a custom .17FB built. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 03-20-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911alertme View Post
I think it would be excellent for a 20 Vartarg build. All of the extractions issues are solved by starting with a fireball action.
Now you're talkin'! They'd sell more of them I'd bet.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I "had" three Rem factory fireballs. The freebores were not conducive to any decent handloads. I couldn't get any 20gr to touch the lands and the 25s weren't much better. Shot Bergers, Hornadys, Nagels, Kindlers, Speers, yada yada and same with a bunch of different powders. Neither shot better than inch and a half at 100. Two hundred was an exercise in futility. They also were copper mines. Shoot ten to twenty rounds and scrub for an hour. It wasn't long after that I swapped out the barrels on my Model 7 and 700. I sold one that I never shot, the triangle barrel job, because it had the same freebore issue. I'm now down to 3/8" at 100 and any chuck within 300 is DRT.

My two cents? IMHO, these days, since Remington was taken over by vulture capitalists, they've gone downhill bigtime and one would be better off getting a custom .17FB built. Buy once, cry once.
I got the first one that came into the shop. Shoots great. Rem musta still had a sharp reamer for that one. But I agree, what they're putting out lately is shameful.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Supporting Member

Mine was a NIB CZ 527 in .221 Fireball that now wears a Pac Nor barrel.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default hmmm..

I thought this rumor surfaced 6 months back and someone in the know stepped on it? Now it's back??
Old 03-20-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Model Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Now you're talkin'! They'd sell more of them I'd bet.
They would sell like hotcakes I bet, just for that reason alone. Bill K