Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Good luck, it might work out fine for you - or not, depending on the respective diameters of the last .050" of the necks on both reamers used in your chamber. What is the diameter of the neck of a fired AH case in your chamber - normally. What is the diameter of a fired HH case, normally - for any gun. That might show, or not, differences in 'normal' tolerances there - but the final test will be after the rifle is re-chambered. Normal fired diameter of the AH case is .195", I think IIRC.

Last edited by Daryl; 03-22-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
(2) buy factory brass from Hornady and thus eliminate the fire-forming that I have to do for the .17 Ackley Hornet.
There's no "fire-forming" per se. I shot about 2,000 rds through 2 different guns and killed gobs of rodents.......each round was chambered as a necked-down 22Hornet and each was ejected as a formed 17AH case. I wouldn't want cases to be .050" shorter in that chamber.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Pass a 22H into a die and go kill stuff...fireforming is done. My FF loads are probably more accurate than full power...go figure. Sorry, besides being able to buy factory loads, I just don't get it. In a pinch you could probaby fire 17 HH in the AH chamber but as others said, it'll be unusable as it'll be too short.

With the reported crappy 17 HH brass that's out there, leaky primers, etc. there is NO WAY I would opt for the 17 HH over the 17 AH. And if I were to, I would set it back properly and do it right. Wouldn't want a "franken-chamered" barrel. Any 'smith worth his salt would tell you not to hand turn a reamer.

Another thing...correct me if I'm wrong. If a 17AH is typically 0.050" longer and you cut in a 17AH chamber, assuming the neck dia's the same, wouldn't that result in 0.050" more distance to the lands? You'll never be able to get anywhere close to the lands unless you use a 25 vmax or 30 something.

Last edited by csterner; 03-22-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 PM

In both my barrels, Fire Forming hornet brass to AH, is just as accurate as with formed cases. They print about 1/4" to 1/2" lower on the target depending on the load and run an average of 34fps slower for the same load as I use for forming, however they kill rats just as easily to 400yards as-do formed cases.

I've been experimenting with H322 powder and 20gr. Nosler HP and Tipped bulelts and they are even more consistent when fireforming- running in the .350" to .400" range. Go figure. No flies on that.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:24 AM

A 17HH will not clean out a 17AH chamber and leave you with a perfect HH chamber. Regardless of shoulder angle the HH is shorter to the neck shoulder junction than the AH by something like .020 when measured from the rim. So if it was headspaced correctly part of the old shoulder neck junction will still be there. Like was mentioned the 17HH is also shorter over all so there's an extra .050 worth of the old neck that will still be there.

I know its hard to believe but you've actually got the best chamber in your rifle now. I'd stick with the Ackley.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Default 17HH to 17 AH maybe.

You have it backwards, the 17 HH can be made into a 17 Ackley Hornet with no setback providing the 17 Ackley reamer neck is larger, if not you will have a step in the neck. PM me back and ask how I know this. Do it then fireform one and inspect the neck, you may get lucky. To get it right you may need to set it back. sgtg out
Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 AM

I did it and then fireformed one .17HH round. There is slight line demarcating a slight.003-004ths decrease in case diameter just about .050 back from the shoulder. Looks cosmetic too me. Send the gun off for some trigger work and will fireform some more when loaded ammo arrives. Hopefully my .17 HH dies will adequately resize.

Jordan
Old 03-25-2015, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

Hopefully neck sizing will be all that is needed if you reload either the HH
or AH cases for it. Run those 17HH cases thru a full length die and clean.
I think they would sell on gunbroker for over $.40.
That would make for some economical shooting.

When I first stumbled on this site about 10 years ago, all the have to have
chamberings were the Ackley Hornet and the Mach IV.

There was little mention that the chambers "hole" for the Mach IV were 1.432 deep
and most of the brass was 1.390 by the time it was necked down and trimmed.

Now, the same thing causes a lot of hand wringing.

When I go prairie dogin, I take about 400 rounds of 17 Remington made from
223 cases. short yep Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 AM

Thanks Kenny. I don't think these necks being a tad short will amoun to anything either.

Jordan
Old 03-25-2015, 03:27 AM

Mine is Super accurate fireforming! A buddy and I fire formed 100 17AH cases shooting prarie dogs out to 450yds!!! They didn't know what hit them. Even if I had a 17HH I think I'd form my brass from 22hornet, the hornady stuff is pricy.