Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM

Default CZ 527 Model Help

Okay, gonna ramble a bit here guys, so bear with me. My twelve year old son just brought home his first steer for our county fair. This brute weighs 1,350 lbs. right now, is gaining 3 lbs./day and has 4 1/2 months to go. This animal came from our family ranch, owned by my uncle. He and I are very close. For the record, cattle prices are currently at record level. My uncle wants Patrick to pay him for the steer AFTER he gets his fair check, this usually shows up in September. At best, my uncle will ask to be paid a STUPID low price. Would not surprise me if he tries to weasel out of taking any payment. This is incredibly kind but, my son would not learn much from this and I can't swallow it either. So, I want to try and outfox the fox. My uncle has never had a decent truck gun and we are wanting to set him up with a .204R. I will keep him in ammo tailored to the rifle but, want him to have access to factory rounds, just in case. Going with the CZ based on value/reputation and being magazine fed, nice feature for a ride-along-rig. Thinking either the 527 American or Varmint, although I have never handled either one. So, finally to the point, which one would better serve his needs? I know we have the right cartridge, just a matter of model. Need something quick to shoulder out of the window or, thrown across the hood. No consideration to the best for walking around. One thing confuses me on the Varmint, CZ-USA says the barrel length is 25.6", all the online ads say 24.0"? Anyway, please share your thoughts. TIA

On Edit: Guys, I am really scattered right now. My youngest has a 'surprise' appointment with his cardiologist and I am not doing a good job of keeping it together. I truly meant to post this in the general discussion area.

Hope this works and shows up in the proper forum.......
Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM

Per the CZ-USA website, only the Amercan is available in 204 Ruger now, not the Varmint. It also lists the barrel length for the Amercan in 204 is ~22 inches.

The Amercan should be a great rifle for his needs, in my opinion. I have CZ527 Americans in both 22 Hornet and 221FB. Both are 0.5MOA rifles.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default 204v

The 204 Varmint I had was one of the first out when they chambered for this cartridge. Mine was 24" and the barrel was really a heavy sporter, something like .725 at the muzzle. The stock dimensions were identical to the American and the barrel channel opened up to fit the slightly larger barrel. It was no problem to carry, heck I had sporter barreled rifles that were heavier. Their varmint barrels are a crap shoot and vary in size, my 17 Rem is a legit heavy barrel.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanks, guys. I missed that the Varmint was not currently being offered in .204R when I was @ CZ-USA checking out the specifications.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM

ramos: My Son and I shoot CZ Rifles, and we think they are about as good as it gets. All of ours are extremly accurate. The American 527 model in 204 would be IMHO a great choice, and I think Your Uncle will be very pleased with one of these rifles as a Truck Gun.

I have my fingers crossed for Your Son, and He has my prayers also. Keep Your head up and stay strong, for Your Son and Family. You have my prayers also.
ken
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 PM

What critters might your uncle shoot? You may want to look at the hornet if the targets are smaller and closer.

Oh, and best for your son.

Last edited by dsandfort; 03-25-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Thank you both for the prayers and positive thoughts.

Targets would include magpies, crows, rock chucks but, predominately coyotes. Cats, of the larger varieties, will also make an occasional appearance although they don't seem to be a problem. Wolves and wolf attacks, have been confirmed in the area. However, at this point in time a guy would forever be looking over his shoulder if he dumped one. Sucks, but that is the reality of it.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:37 PM
Supporting Member

Ramos
Hope all is well with your son.

As much as I like my 204 American.

You might also look at the M1 American 223 with the three shot flush
magazine. A little nicer stock with cheek piece. Wood stock please.
I hate those plastic trees. Rings should be included also.
For me there is a big difference in handeling and packing the American
pencil barrel.
Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 AM

I read somewhere that the European-market Varmints had the longer barrels (kind of strange, considering their love of pencil barrels over there). At any rate, I'd snag the first Varmint available, in case C-Z "forgets" to send more this way again. Even if the wooden-stock one would prove unmanageable - which I doubt - one could always lop an inch or two off the barrel. One of the rare Kevlar ones like mine weighs more, but there would be no concern about scratches or temp-related wood problems from sitting in a truck cab in all kinds of weather.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 AM

May be of no concern to you, but you might want to check what is legal for the big cats, just north of you in WA we need a .22 CF or larger. Larry