Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default 26 Nosler

HogPatrol,
Speaking of the 26 Nosler, do you shoot one? I've been really kicking it around, think I might just stick one together. I was going to be building a 264 Win Mag, but really thinking of the 26 Nosler. I have a Sako L61R action, like new, sitting in the safe, and I really ought to put it to use.
Stan

Sorry for derailing the thread.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Supporting Member

In my calibers/reloading,
I am tickled Pink using the 17 XST or SST Weasel cases,
1.5 to 2.5 grs of powder p/load, 17gr bullet,
runs 2500 to 3000 fps from their 17/18" bbls.

My reloadable Rimfire cases,
I bought several thousand of these 17gr bullets,
and I can't remember what I paid for them, 100.00/1000??
wish I had bought for for the price I paid for them,
as they were cheap at that time.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
HogPatrol,
Speaking of the 26 Nosler, do you shoot one? I've been really kicking it around, think I might just stick one together. I was going to be building a 264 Win Mag, but really thinking of the 26 Nosler. I have a Sako L61R action, like new, sitting in the safe, and I really ought to put it to use.
Stan

Sorry for derailing the thread.
Stan, Sent you a PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 PM

You can get the same bullets for less cost at Midsouth, too. I only go to Midway when MidSouth doesn't carry that particular item.

Dogtown bullets are the same slugs as Midsouth's Varmint Nightmare Extremes, yet the cost difference is pretty large.

Savings are where you get 'em, these days.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 PM

Nosler makes the bullets for midsouth I believe. If you gwy them to shoot you can reload them cheaper then rimfire if your round doesn't eat to much powder.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
you can get 10 times that many handloads out of brass.

ML
What Mntngoat said.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
I did a little math and to reload a 17 hornet I came up with 41 cent us funds per round .
This is based on components from Midway

using 10 grains of powder ,and being able to reload the 100 brass 3 times .

.41 per round x 50 rounds = $20.50

That does not include any reloading hardware or time .
Chris
At one point I did the same calculations based on prices I pay at Recobs and came up with 30 cents per shot which is cheaper than shooting some rimfire
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 AM

Speaking of small cals only, as bigger cals have much higher bullet, brass & powder costs per round I would say the average costs to reload small cal cases of 22 cal or smaller is somewhere between 30 & 45 cents per round depending on what bullet you use & how you amortize your brass cost. Some may get only 10 reloads per case while others may get 25 or more. Bullet cost can vary as much as 10 cents per bullet. So many variables it's hard to put a definitive number on it. I do think that there are some bulk ammo options out there that can be cheaper than what you can reload for in 223 Rem. Just a matter of how they shoot & what your time is worth to reload your own. Had a 223 once that shot remaned Black Hills 40 gr ammo into bugholes so didn't bother reloading as it (at the time) was $40/100. Even at the present cost it would be attractive considering my time to reload.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 AM

Speaking of small cals only, as bigger cals have much higher bullet, brass & powder costs per round I would say the average costs to reload small cal cases of 22 cal or smaller is somewhere between 30 & 45 cents per round depending on what bullet you use & how you amortize your brass cost. Some may get only 10 reloads per case while others may get 25 or more. Bullet cost can vary as much as 10 cents per bullet. So many variables it's hard to put a definitive number on it. I do think that there are some bulk ammo options out there that can be cheaper than what you can reload for in 223 Rem. Just a matter of how they shoot & what your time is worth to reload your own. Had a 223 once that shot remaned Black Hills 40 gr ammo into bugholes so didn't bother reloading as it (at the time) was $40/100. Even at the present cost it would be attractive considering my time to reload.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Assuming my .17AH brass, after a dozen or so reloads, is free - bullets (12.00), powder(3.93) and primers(3.00) = $18.92 per 50 for me. This is only $3.00 per 50 cheaper than HMRs. If one's time is free, it is cheaper to shoot CF's and with the increased range, if needed, is well worth shooting the Ah on rats.

Shooting my little .375/06IMP, at $55.00 per 50 TSX bullets, along with $13.13 for powder, $3.00 for primers = $71.13 for 50.
IF you could buy those ctgs. in a box, they'd be $80.00 to $95.00 here with the TSX bullets, thus it is cheaper to load, of course.

Using cheaper 'standard' bullets for practice or lighter big game, drops the price by about $25.00 per 50.