Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bore Scope

In order to not hijack Roy's thread I am happy to provide insight into another bore scope option that I came across via my son who was looking into info relating to belted cases (not small caliber ). Bottom line is that I purchased the bore scope (and everything else) referenced in the site listed below and have used the bore scope on probably 20 barrels, and couldn't be more pleased. It opens up all the mysteries of each barrel and critiques accurately my cleaning procedures. I wish Larry's bore scope had been available years ago when I purchased my first one (much more expensive as I recall). The good thing is that I have it now.

BTW, if you own cartridges with belts, or desire options on measuring headspace, setting up dies, COL etc. Mr Willis has most of it covered.

After about a month of playing with the various tools (from Innovative Technologies) I couldn't be more pleased. Jim

www.larrywillis.com
Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

JLD, Is it clear and sharp when viewing the lands? You only get a forward view? Is there any magnification? Whats the light source? Have you ever looked thru a Hawkeye to compare image?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

That looks like a good scope. Can you output pictures and videos so you can send us some examples of the quality of the image?

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Read the 'About Us' page on their website. Sounds like an interesting guy!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Supporting Member

Ray- I have in fact looked through a Hawkeye. I pick this one. Yes, very clear, sharp a magnified. The view whether pushing or pulling through the barrel is a 360 degree view of the barrel between the fiber optics light and the light reflector referenced below.

Roy- I can not and don't know if I can legally, provide pics or videos.

If you go to Larry's website and look at the borescope picture on the handheld "tv screen" you can see what you are looking at and the magnification. As you are pulling or pushing the fiber optics cable in/out of the barrel, you are seeing the full circle of your lands and grooves and any thing that's there. Looks like a head on picture of a white "lifesaver" with any imperfections including washed out throats, pits, moly, carbon or copper.

Quote from Larry's site: "This high definition borescope is designed specifically for inspecting rifle barrels, and it shows exactly how clean your barrel really is. Our patented Wide View Light Reflector provides a crisp, color, 360° "cylindrical side view" inside your barrel. Most shooters are shocked when they see a magnified view inside their barrel. This borescope uses a rugged .154" diameter fiber-optic cable that is 40" long. Runs on (4) AA batteries." Jim
Old 03-28-2015, 08:02 PM

JLDakota,
Thanks for that link. Never heard of that company before.
Just ordered a collet die for belted magnums.
Regards, Ken.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Ken
I'm sure you are going to like it. My son has a 7mm mag and a 7mm STW and most probably will never have to buy any more brass because of the collet die. If you start with new brass and can accurately determine FL die setup to give you head space of (1.5-2 thousandths), Larry refers to getting 20 loads out of a belted case. Jim
Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Jim, I had a Hawkeye and sold it because I couldn't do 17 cal. When I went looking for the 17 cal version I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much.This looks very good. thanks again for the write up
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 PM

Is there a lens or anything on the end that makes it big enough that it can't fit into a .17?

Aaron
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Supporting Member

Ray,
I forgot to provide that neither the 17 nor 19 calibers can be explored with this bore scope. Larry states that it can be used for 22 caliber and above. It works fine in my 20's but will not fit in my 19's.