Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Tactical 20 AR15

Hey folks, been a while since I logged on here, finally have some free time to get back to shooting

Ive been thinking about building a tactical 20 something for a long time, well over a year, and wanted to get some feedback. I would really like to have an upper built for the ar15 platform, Im thinking a 1:11 twist barrel to shoot 40 grain bullets. My main concern is with the accuracy of the rifle in an autoloader without a crimp on the case. I have been reloading 20VT for about two years and that is my entire experience reloading but from what I can research, it seems that crimping for the ar platform can make some significant changes. Makes enough sense I guess with the force that the rounds get chambered with.

Can anyone shed some light on the whole crimping issue in general? Am I correct in assuming that crimping isnt an option for the tac20 cartridge? And if that is the case, should I be worried about the accuracy of a cartridge that hasnt been crimped with the AR platform?

My goal is to be able to shoot consistent 1/2" 100 yard groups with the AR, just to put "accurate" in context of my expectation.

thanks for any feedback!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

Default Crimping for AR

When I was competing in NRA Highpower, I never crimped a single round used in my AR15, and I shot several thousand rounds before I "retired".
Nor did I know of any other AR shooter bothering with crimping.
Bigger concern for me was having no choice other than seat to magazine length (for rapid fire strings), my AR did group a bit better when seated closer to the lands.

The AR platform is usally more accurate than most would think (me included, when I first started competing).

Greg
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 AM

Default 20 tactical

I have built 2 204 Rugers in AR15 platform, one with a shilen the other with a Pac Nor . Both shot very well . I would check out the 20 Practical on 6BR.com . It is on the 20's page and has a video of a gunsmith shooting a 20 practical AR15. I think the 20 practical is just a 223 necked down to a 20 cal. Thanks! Mark
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 AM

greg, that sure is food for thought. Maybe Im over thinking things, certainly wouldnt be the first time...

Is there a reason why one couldnt get the barrel chambered around the max OAL provided for by the magazine?

lots of newbie questions...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolenmammoth View Post
greg, that sure is food for thought. Maybe Im over thinking things, certainly wouldnt be the first time...

Is there a reason why one couldnt get the barrel chambered around the max OAL provided for by the magazine?

lots of newbie questions...
You could certainly have the barrel short chambered like that. The problem is, the heavier bullets that are more effective at the longer ranges will intrude on your powder space when they have to be seated deep in the case. Seating for mag OAL will help some but the rounds have to be single fed in the chamber and loaded longer than mag length to see all of their potential. I to am a "retired" high power shooter. I shot an M1A in .308 for about 6 years and never crimped a one. Never had a problem with bullet setback, or any feeding problem that would be crimp or lack of crimp related. Did have some magazine problems once causing feeding problems.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM

are 39 or 40's large enough for a compacted load at mag length OAL? Hadnt thought of that...
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 AM

I have one made by Mike Milli at Dedicated technology he has made quite a few in Tac 20 and 204 and uses Shilen barrels. Mine is a 1/12 twist and shoots 35gr Berger and 39gr Sierra and 40gr Berger all to the same POI at 100 and the groups hover around 1/2 to 3/4 inches mostly dependent on my shooting. I highly recommend that you give Mike a call at 218-444-7419 he's a great guy to talk to about AR's. I have not been crimping any of my AR's and have had no problems. Actually I just run my new .223 cases thru a Tac 20 die and load and shoot they shoot just fine while fireforming. This year I have used the Tac 20 as my main coyote weapon and I have the magazine loaded up with loads that I am fireforming the 1st time.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 AM

mike is definitely building the upper for me, talked to him about it first maybe 18 months ago Ive yet to hear anything but the highest praise for his work.