Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Small calibers

Years ago I was working loads with a 14/221 on my range. A small buck walked out and started feeding at around 60 plus yards. Killed it with a neck shot. I wanted to see what the bullet would do. Had no doubt it would be an instant kill. Was not deer hunting, deer came to me and offered a clear easy shot. Blaine was killing large coyotes at longer ranges so I knew it would work, no doubts. I hunt deer with handguns/ revolvers, in much larger calibers at longer ranges. Often listen to experts that never shoot a handgun tell me you can't kill deer with a handgun. Have no doubt they can't. To me it is up to the person shooting to make the call. They are the only one at that moment that can really judge the wisdom or lack of wisdom for their actions. Every year we have hunters here with big bore rifles hunting deer that gut shoot, or cripple them. They hunt with rifles that are not zeroed, do the "See hair and shoot", spray and pray, hail Mary, type marksmanship. That is OK though because Bubba has a 300 Win mag or whatever it is. Bubba can't hit a bear in the butt with a boat paddle. Rant over, bottom line for me it is not caliber of gun used. It is the caliber of the hunter.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Nicely put Frank.
Hope you're keepin' well. Ken.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Supporting Member

TOR has the right idea. Adam
Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I guess I am just old enough to remember growing up when many game animals were taken (and still are in areas) with old 22lr. Heck, even the eskimo's still take lots of game with a 222 remington, and some of it is big game. A person just has to put the bullet in the right spot and not shoot at long distance.. Which is overdone, in my opinion, with the TV shows, etc. now days. Like it or not, small calibers take game, when the shooter is a decent hunter. Bill K
Hogs here are vermin -- open season all year and no limit. A friend of mine hunts them with his hog hunting dogs and when the dogs have a pig cornered he puts the pig down with a 22lr.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Supporting Member

In 1953 Bella Twin shot what was then the world record Grizzly with a single shot .22 Long.

Guess that makes a .22 long Grizzly medicine .
In Montana there are no caliber restrictions on hunting big game, .17 HMR on elk? It's up to you. Everyone has to make their own decisions on what is reasonable and ethical here and as Clint Eastwood said in the movie "A man has to know his limitations". I've made to many decisions others would find questionable in my life while I was hunting to be allowed a soapbox on this topic and being a reformed reprobate that died on this hill once before I don't intend to do it again.
I agree with ramos post, "Oh, crap! I was hoping this topic would stay away".
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM

What IS the definition of BIG game in the BHOUSA?
Ken.
PS. In England the minimum requiremment for ALL deer species is .24cal and ME of 1700 FT lbs.
For chinese deer and muntjac a 22 cf can be used.
PPS. Over here, caliber is still a very subjective issue with some people thinking a .243 is not enough gun for deer.

Last edited by kenbro; 11-22-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: PS&PPS
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Supporting Member

Well we have minimum cals for deer also. In this case I was shooting rabbits, when the red stag appeared. I had a solid rest, if you look close you can see the dark mark where the bullet hit right between the eyes. I had no doubt that I could take the shot, and no doubt the hard little 32grn calhoon would do the job. Which it did.

I recalll also back in the 70s when fox shooting, took 3 pigs, all one shot kills. Bullet was placed right behind the ear from a vehicle under the spotlight.

Johno
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 PM

Default State laws

Here in the states laws are different from state to state. My state the law simply requires centerfire mushrooming ammo. It is subject to change from year to year. We can hunt with handgun or rifle. Shotguns are also legal. You really have to check the law here every year because each year there is usually at least one or more changes. They put out a small game and fish book each year. It is still wise to do your research. The other states are free to write their laws as they wish. California for example has a lot of interesting laws. Glad I do not live or visit there. Some places only allow shotguns for deer.
I apologize for my rant. Each year at this time myself and some friends always see gut shot crippled deer some Bubba shot with his super duper louden boomer magnum. Blood trail "What has to have been a huge world record buck" that has morphed into a gut shot doe. One friend really hurts their feelings over those. Bubba your buck has morphed into a doe, the heart shoot moved back to the gut and if we had not found it when we did it would have got well, got up and ran off.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member

Rant was fine, in fact I could'nt agree more with you. I know the stag I shot, I would have passed up every time except for the position I had to take the shot.

Couple of evenings ago I took a smabar with my custom 358win. He was maybe 120yds, covered in heavy swamp mud. The 200grn hornady went through just behind the shoulder. He took off like he had'nt been hit. Had my GSP with me, she located him about 70yds away in thick tea tree scrub. On gutting, the lungs & heart were blown to bits. Yet it still made 70 yds. I reckon a gut shot animal could take a week to die. If you can't take a clean shot, then leave it be

John
Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 AM

i too believe it is the hunter rather than the caliber. a clean, humane kill is desired by most people i know. i don't like tracking game; in most cases it is not necessary with any gun.
having said that....arkansas has a rather long bow season that draws more and more people to it. if you think a blundered firearm wound is a slow agoninizing death just look at those caused by arrows. i see them every year.
i am just wondering what the argument is for being against small bullets, but for arrows.