Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Supporting Member

I leave the man alone, don't think it's a thing he wants to remember much or talk about at all. Hope he's doing well.
I had heard it was a Blue Dot load but that's vicious gossip, rumor and hearsay cause my memory has gone the way of the passenger pigeon and that was years ago. I do have a vivid recollection of the photos of his eye.
All this happened before the great crash of 2006 . The info was all in the archives before that.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...r=90392&page=1

Adam
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Supporting Member

Default reduced load

Here's a paste from the link, he say's he wasn't using safety glasses and this was a theory as to what might have happened.

( The bullet on the reduced loads were seated way out. When I went to load a live round in the rifle the gun barrel was pointed at the ground. The powder in the shell will shift towards the bullet clogging up in the neck. When the Thompson Center is closed the powder is stil in the front of the shell leaving air space infront of the primer. What I have been told was that when the gun is fired it creates a detination instead of a ignition. Does that sound right? What is your thought on what happened? Thanks again. Randy)

I've always wandered about this "detonation" as I've read thoughts on it from guys in the powder industry that say it's bunk. I've also wandered why you don't have this detonation with pistol loads as a light load is about 30-40% of case capacity?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Supporting Member

Whatever the circumstances and especially in light of how many better propellants there are out there Blue Dots off my dance card. I have called Ben Amonette his response? "DON"T DO IT"!!! Good enough for me .
If I need a reduced load for a .221 I grab a .22K-Hornet or a plain .22 Hornet or whatever. I've gotten cautions in my old age .

Last edited by montdoug; 12-03-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Whatever the circumstances and especially in light of how many better propellants there are out there Blue Dots off my dance card. I have called Ben Amonette his response? "DON"T DO IT"!!! Good enough for me .
If I need a reduced load for a .221 I grab a .22K-Hornet or a plain .22 Hornet or whatever. I've gotten cautions in my old age .
When I require a reduced load I use a slower burning powder that fills the case at least 90% and if possable 100% at the moment I am experimenting with
H4831 full to start of sholder with no pressure signes or soot on the sholder orcase walls in a 17Ackly Hornet and getting just over 2000ft/sec , accuracy is fine but I have not tried it on rabbits with the 20gr v/max but I would expect it to kill instantly at the 120yds that I expect to use it and yes I know my Anschuz 22LR will do the job perfectly along with the music of the ricochet singing away through the sheep in the meadow, My Ruger 77/17HMR is also a contender but dammit I like using the Ruger 77/22Hornet with the 17Ackly barrel fitted and with HMR ammo at £28 per 100 and I load for the 17 ackly at £29 per 100 with my own cases once used by myself or friends 22 hornets.
At the moment it is fitted with a 4-16 X 50 Ill ret M T C Viper 30 mll tube and its the best optics i have had which is another reason to stick with the Ackly.
Wally bennett
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Default "reduced load" development

Here's a great article as a guideline or for cross-referencing:
http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/DevelopSubsonic.html
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Supporting Member

That sounds like a real sensible way of doing it Wally.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM

Default everyone get "scared off" ???

I was enjoying the thread...
Years I ago I built reduced loads for a 22-250Ackley using 700x with dacron filler and a 45 gr. Hornet bullet. The accuracy was so-so , 1"-2" @ 100 yds. Shot a few coyotes under 100 yds at calling stands and dispatched wounded animals. The recipe came from an article by a reputable author.

TRAIL BOSS has been discussed which might be the safe option for reduced loads. Seems to produce extra slow velocities and accuracy is poor.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

From what I've read, Blue Dot seems to provide the best accuracy along with better variety of velocities.

I've read that Magnum primers are recommended for these very fast powders along with heavy bullets for any particular calibre.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Supporting Member

AA

I have had very good luck getting accurate loads with TB in the 223, 221 and 17 FB, as well as 308, 338 Federal, 300 Win Mag, 375 Ruger and 45-70. Cast bullets about an inch at 75 yrds in the 308 and up, some of the jacketed ones in the 17 FB, under 1/2" at 100. Which ones were you finding inaccurate? Cast or jacketed?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Default TRAIL BOSS tried out today

I found some Trail Boss at a local gun shop and did some load testing with a
factory SAKO 6PPC sporter loaded up with 58 gr. Vmax
It was a coolish day with a miserable cross-wind.
The shooting was done from inside my garage - with increased noise level.
Results were very accurate loads with no recoil.
The velocity node was 9.0 gr. powder with an average of 1850 fps
I would have liked to be at 2000 fps ...but with 9.0 gr. the excellent accuracy made-up for it all.
I was skeptical to begin with but am extremely pleased with todays results.
Will be experimenting with some other calibres.

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 12-19-2010 at 07:56 PM.