Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Default OT BIG bore 6.5 questions

Fella's,

My Jr. is looking to put a 6.5 something together off a 721 action that was chambered in 06. The 6.5X284 seems to be all the rage these days but I am a bit concerned with the rebated head and shorter case there may be feeding issues. I myself would lean towards the 6.5-06. Looking for some votes and experiences one way or the other to swing our stalemate.

Aaron
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Supporting Member

Since you already have the long action, and you will be using the magazine instead of single shot why not go 6.5-06. Brass will be cheaper and readily available.
I made this decision only with 6mm a few years ago. I was very happy with the long case since I had a long action.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Supporting Member

What does he want to do with it?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Supporting Member

Combo rifle- long range varmints and thin skinned big game.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 AM

I almost did the 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. May be worth a look, definitely has personality. Here's a blurb from an article I found a while back.

Quote:
Perhaps the most popular and best known of the unique Mannlicher calibers is the 6.5x54 M-S. This is one of the small bore calibers that WDM Bell used to shoot a number of elephants for their ivory tusks. The majority of Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles, however, were sold in the same popular European and American calibers for which most bolt action rifles are chambered. These include, but are not limited to, such standards as the .243 Winchester, 6.5x55, .270 Winchester, 7x57, .30-06 and 8x57. Less frequently seen, but very appropriate American cartridges (especially for the M-S Carbine) include the .244/6mm Remington, .257 Roberts and .358 Winchester.
I have an unfired contender carbine barrel from Bullberry in the 6.5MS with brass dies bullets that I just have not found time for. It may be on the chopping block soon. Im addicted to my 17s.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Combo rifle- long range varmints and thin skinned big game.
A 6.5mm is a great bullet, but not one I would launch down the tube for varmints on a regular basis. 6mm bullets offer a much wider range of choices and will do what you are looking for with less recoil.

I own a 6-06 and love it, my buddy has a 6-284 which performs just about as well. Mine cycles rounds like butter, his is not as smooth but has yet to jam.

A LA will let you seat the longer VLD's of a 6.5 in the mag well if you go with the .284. The .260rem is a hard round to over look also IMO.

A 243 AI or 6mm AI would also be great choices for prolonged barrel life.

Lots of choices all within a few FPS of each other unless you go with a super 6mm (6-06, 6-06AI, 6-284, 6mm Catbird) or something like a 6.5 WSM

I did a bunch of research before I decided on my 6-06. 70grs for varmints and 85-95gr for deer and antelope. Has yet to let me down.

Jon

Last edited by StrombeckJ; 01-25-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 AM

I have had both cartridges, I still have the 6.5-06, there is hardly any difference in ballistics, the 284 case is harder to get to feed, and the 284 cases are harder to come buy than 06. Both are excellent long range big game cartridges, and also great long range target cartridges. Getting my 6.5-284 to feed in a Mauser style action was kind of pain that was the biggest reason I kept the 06.

Bob
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 AM

I did this very same project 20 some odd years ago and loved it. I also used 721 Rem and considered both cals you are thinking about. I went with the 6.5 - 06 and glad I did. Had no chambering issues and I think the mag will hold one more round than if I went with the 284 version. Don't chance it go with the 06 version. I used a Brown Precision hunting stock and sporter wt. Douglas 23in barrel. I sent them a seated bullet to set the freebore but this is not necessary. It was topped off with a Leopold 2-7 scope along with the sling and fully loaded this setup was very light and a joy to carry. Started out using the Sierra 140 SpBt but was not happy with the way it shot then went to the 120gr solid base Nosler bullets and this was an improvement in accuracy over the 140's. I then went to the 129gr Sp interlock bullets from Hornady and never looked back. This was magic on our north eastern whitetail and accurate as well but I would never consider using this cal. for varmint. Good luck and let us know how you are doing with the project.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Supporting Member

How about the 6.5 Creedmoor? Not as fast as the 6.5-284. It has kind of intrested me. I may buy a Savage chamber for the Creedmoor.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great input guys, I had Jr. read all your responses and he is leaning towards the 6.5-06 now. He still isn't for sure positive yet. Now for barrel, stock etc, etc, etc. I think I will break out all my old stock making tools and let him finish out a semi inlet. With a little supervision----------

Aaron