Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 AM

Default OT Ya just never know

I took my buddy and Mentor over to his reloading room today to get some of his military stuff to hang up at the retirement community that they are staying at until his wife is strong enough to go back home.

Chuck started pulling some sort of plaques out of a cupboard I recognized the 82nd AB, stuff right off, then a plaque with a parachute and a set of wings, then a military Beret.....a "Green Beret". I asked him if he was in the special forces, he said "yup", I asked where? "Korea, Vietnam, and some other places" I have known him for almost 40 years, I knew he was in the Army but this is a little above and beyond to me. I finally got brave enough to ask him if he ever got hurt, All he said was "I got shot in the leg shooting my way out of a whore house in Cambodia but thats about it" I cant get him to elaborate on it but if I ever get the whole story I'm going to write it down.

Ya just never know
Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 AM

Sounds a lot like my step-dad. He did two tours during Vietnam, USMC Special Forces. Spent considerable time in a hand full of countries that "We were never in". He will tell the funny stories but, does not talk about anything serious. I do know that even before airport travel became a PIA, he had a dickens of a time with the metal detectors (shrapnel). We have a ton of unrecognized heroes all around us. I know we remind each other from time to be thankfull for our freedom. The thing that amazes me is how many people outside of the USA that also need to thank our vets for their freedom. I can only hope that they do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

Them Cambodian Whorehouses are dangerous places
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 AM

Adam, I'm pretty sure ANY house of ill repute is a dangerous place! We think we have pretty powerfull small calibers here. Ain't nothing next to a virus you can't even see with the naked (LOL) eye that can drop a guy dead. Figure I will stick with what we do here. My apologies for straying OT (it is an important topic), but hey, it's all ADAM's fault!!! He's always stirring things up, dang youngster .
Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 AM

I figure it must have been a top secret mission and he must have been sworn to secrecy, why else would you be in a business such as that in a country that we where not supposed to be in at all. Must have been a matter of national security.

I wonder how his Purple was given to him???

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Supporting Member

Bob he was joking about the Cambodian whorehouse. But the green beret is a tight nit group of individuals. I may know your friend. I wore the Green Beret myself.

H co. 2nd bat. 75th rangers LRRP Camp Evans Vietnam 69'

Then assigned to MACV CCN for second tour

Yep you just never know

Last edited by Stevo; 07-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Thanks for the reminders Bob.
Drove OTR with a guy for yrs and knew him on the side for close to 50 in all.
Never knew he was an airborne SAVAGE in Italy during WWII til his funeral and one of his partners in it told of some of the things Sid Jayhay did.
All our yrs he was just a mild going nice guy w/o a care in the world it seemed.

When I was drafted I had a houseful of kids so they rejected me. 7yrs later we split n I joined the OD Circus but, it was playing nonsense games in Germany instead. I was the old man of the bunch of kids then and bored to death much of the time. Had a great CO that I connected with. So I hit him up for passes at least once a month. Got to see lots of Europe that way.
THese health problems that have hit me it's really paid off to have done that short tour. Esp where I didn't get involved in anything much. Did get to watch a hijacker at Frankfurt a/p get shot watching his demand note falling to the ground while we were up there on a "dropping/rigging class for heavy equipment".

They didn't appreciate me when I spoke up and asked for a cutting torch rig as when we kicked a dozer, cranes and graders out on a chute they'd just be junk. oh well.
Life n times, right?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member

Bob,
As in most things, them that has done it don't talk about it; those who talk about it haven't.

Something to remember in November.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Georgeld, when was it that you were stationed in Germany? Maybe we were there at the same time. I did 2 1/2 years over there, stationed near Grossauheim, about 20 miles from Frankfurt, '66 - ' 69. Never got shot or shot at, but those Germans sure did try to kill us with their cars!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM

for a reading of just two of many awesome individuals, google.....LT. Thomas R. Norris...and....P.O. Michael E. Thornton