Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2014, 02:46 AM

Default new build

hi fellas. a while back, in a round about way through trades, i came into possession of a pac-nor 10 twist, 3 groove barrel blank in .224. it was a 1.25 in. cylinder of 28 in. in length. i have recently contoured it to a varmint weight with the intention of chambering it in 22-250. a friend is suggesting 220 swift instead, of which neither of us have any experience with. i sure would appreciate advice from those who have. we are used to a 14 twist in our 22-250's with 50 to 55 gr. thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 AM

Not too many people around here play with that big bore stuff. Larry
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

I've had 2 Swifts (1 Sako Forester and 1 Ruger M77) in my short life span of 72 years. Back in the day they were the "king of speed" for a commercial cartridge and many of us were seduced by that fact alone. Knowing what I learned from them, and where the bullet choices and powders we now have today can take a person, I would probably take a hard look at a 22BR. I have a Cooper Montana Varminter in 223AI (insanely accurate out to 400+ yds) that I think a lot of which would be my 2nd choice, but if speed combined with accuracy is your goal the 22BR should fill the bill...IMHO You may have to do some research on that 10 twist though as it seems to be in the middle ground between the typical slower twists used for lighter bullets and the faster twists for the heavier ones.
Keep us posted on your choice/decision as we are always eager to learn from the other guy's experiences. Regards, Charlie
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I think that say's it all!
my findings exactly, over the years my 220 swifts trended more accurate than the 22-250. that said my 22 br took a back seat to no one.
By the way Charlie, thanks for your service.
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae35gunner View Post
I've had 2 Swifts (1 Sako Forester and 1 Ruger M77) in my short life span of 72 years. Back in the day they were the "king of speed" for a commercial cartridge and many of us were seduced by that fact alone. Knowing what I learned from them, and where the bullet choices and powders we now have today can take a person, I would probably take a hard look at a 22BR. I have a Cooper Montana Varminter in 223AI (insanely accurate out to 400+ yds) that I think a lot of which would be my 2nd choice, but if speed combined with accuracy is your goal the 22BR should fill the bill...IMHO You may have to do some research on that 10 twist though as it seems to be in the middle ground between the typical slower twists used for lighter bullets and the faster twists for the heavier ones.
Keep us posted on your choice/decision as we are always eager to learn from the other guy's experiences. Regards, Charlie
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 AM

Having had the several 22-250 and 220 S, I always go back to the 250. I do like the 22-250 AI best.

Performance-Rifles.com
Old 12-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22-250 vs 220Swift

Owning both in various configurations I would go with the 22-250 for these reasons. Starting with brass, you just have it way easier sourcing the 22-250 brass, simple as that. As for quality previous statement applies with the tie breaker going to the 22-250. It doesn't stretch as much, you don't have to concern yourself with the rimmed aspect of the Swift when loading your mag. Accuracy and performance, there really isn't enough difference to even talk about, heck some barrels show a 100fps difference which is right at the velocity difference of the two. Pretty much a tie on the dies with there just more of the 22-250's to choose from. Resale, no brainer there, the Swift has the unenviable reputation of being a barrel burner when both are basically overbore 22's. Selling a used Swift with a hundred rounds carefully spaced?...doesn't matter.... the throat is burned out, that's what people will think. Which is the sexiest, easy the Swift gets the nod, the 22-250 will stay with it and be better in most categories...except in sex appeal, the Swift rules there. So....I've changed my mind....get the Swift
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Default 220 Swift chamber

If you go with the Swift, I recommend choosing your brass before getting it chambered. Mine has the max SAAMI chamber and Nosler brass will not work in it. The Nosler brass has neck thickness .004 less than the old Winchester brass that came with my barrel. Would have resulted in .010 under the chamber neck diameter.

So would decide on the brass and then decide on the reamer to fit.

You may be able to shoot the 53 gr V-Max with a 10 twist. It has a great bc for a light .224 bullet. JMHO. Others will have other options for you.

Another consideration is to go with the 220 AI Swift to help slow brass flow. But I do not have experience with that round.

Chuck
Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Sex Appeal

Don't know, Chuck. Hands down the 22 BR is the [b]sexiest[b]. Purely in the eye of the beholder, though. Kinda like two guys with a SI swimsuit calendar trying to agree on the best month.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Good point, Chuck.
Standard .220 swift chambering reamers have VERY large necks for thick RP brass.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Probably showing my grey some, but I like the swift the best of the two.

The swift is what most high speed attempts are aimed at, and the old design still holds its own, even with the various improveds and wildcats.

Yeah, the swift is semi rimmed. But as noted previously not much of an issue loading magazines, in a single shot, a moot point.

You will hear both sides of the 22/250 vs swift all over the net, has been talked about some before sorta speak. I do not own a 22/250 but have several swifts and improved swifts, so somewhat biased.

Both are barrel burners if you shoot them excessively hot and then keep going. I think barrel cleanliness is important as well. The early writers in the gun magazines kinda ran down the swift, and bad press whether deserved or not seemed to stick. One might inquire with the 40x boys on which big 22 shoots the best in their shop.

The masses will always lean toward the 22/250 for one reason or another, but I never sell rifles, so kinda like water off a duck's back. I respect their opinions, but think that I can still have my own as well.

4064 seems the go to powder for the swift, but useage of IMR4350 will shoot very well, abeit with some velocity loss. Some feel that is like driving a Ferrari etc.

Brass is not as common with the swift, but some of that depends on how much you shoot and reloading methods if so used. If you jump to the improved swift you will not get much more speed, but the brass seems to last a good while.

If you are doing a custom build, then you or your gunsmith will have to look into chamber reamer dimensions for your particular application and environment, do not know what else to say about that. If you are doing your own work, then you certainly have a leg up on parameters and their interpretations to the user.