Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

As usual, Doug, you're right on spot with your post...

I too like the 17 MIV, but I'm just glad Remington took the initiative to legitimize a couple of 17 caliber cartridges. Having a couple of them on dealer shelves makes getting components a lot easier.

Its only been a few years back before there was a factory 20 caliber round on dealer shelves that scrounging for bullets to keep a couple of my 20 caliber wildcats fed was like hunting buffalo on foot with a stick and string.. I bought my own swaging equipment to make 20 caliber bullets because of that fact. Now there are factory 20 caliber bullets just abut everywhere.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-15-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
I wish someone would build a bolt action that fits the stubby case, a shortened rem model seven action would be great. The way a m4 case swims in a 700 action is the only reason my 17rem has not been converted.
Remington to the rescue again ! I have one of these in .17 fireball.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featu...es/RS_0108_04/
Old 11-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Supporting Member

Would you all say that a 22" barrel about does it pretty much for max velocity on 17FB/17MIV or does a 24" barrel give significantly more?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Supporting Member

As to barrel length my "personal opinion" is that I like a bit of a muzzle heavy feel so I'd probably go 24 for that reason alone...BUT. With barrel to barrel differences (fast barrels/slow barrels), all the powder burn rates to choose from etc etc. I don't think there'd be any velocity difference worth noting in those two inches. Not a real big case anyway so in a real world W.A.G's , maybe ya give up 20 to 30FPS per inch. If ya have a ballistics program on your computer figure up a realistic load and the vary the velocity by a worst case scenario of 60FPS, now look at the total difference in that 60 FPS at 400 yards. Pretty minuscule huh?
I'd get what ya like the looks of and feels good to ya.
Keep us posted how it goes for ya, guys doing their projects and talking about the outcome here on Saubier isn't quite as good as buying a new one yourself but it sure helps .
Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks mountdoug. I've always loaded my own ammo but I'm new to this wildcat stuff and making/necking brass, Alex has taken me under his wing for the 17AH brass, been a big help. From the info I've gathered so far, looks as I'll be getting another Cooper in the 17FB. Not so sure yet that I want to spend the extra time necking and making brass for a 17 mach IV. Buying ready made brass seems much easier to me. I wasn't too sure about the barrel length with this caliber, 50fps for the extra 2 inches isn't worth it for me. The 24" seems the best for the 17REM though. This 17FB being a walking/stalking varmint rig for me I want it light and easy to toss around. Still deciding on which Cooper model to get for this caliber. Looks like a 22" barrel is the ticket for this project though, maybe 23" for a little extra muzzle weight if I do a pencil barrel.

Hope no one minds all the questions I've been asking, I appreciate all the help and value ALL opinions.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Supporting Member

If no one asked any questions it sure would be a boring web site huh?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Remington to the rescue again ! I have one of these in .17 fireball.
Yep, I almost had a 17m4 Model Seven built, from a fireball base gun. I wanted to rebarrel to a heavier contour and restock it to something along the lines of a curly maple varmintish stock.

What I really meant was a SHORTER version of a model seven action to fit that stubby case. I know the action is already 1/2" inch or so shorter than the 700. I also had an old 600 Mohawk that almost went from a 222 to the 17m4, but I really wanted shorter yet. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for that m38.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
As usual, Doug, you're right on spot with your post...
x2 one of the best posts I have read in a while. I only wish Remington had legitimised the Fireball a couple of years earlier as I would more than likely have chosen it over the .17 Remington.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

Anyone tossing 30grn pills with the 1x10 twist on the 17FB without tumbling?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default No trouble with the 30 gr. ...

... Starke or FB Bergers.

The boat tails tumble.

Alex