Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 AM

Default Well, I bought it (5/35 SMc)

For the last couple years I have been going to the Calgary gun show and seeing a Savage Model 12 with the left hand port from their custom shop, chambered in 5 x 35 SMc. Last year it was fairly high priced but the owner has had health issues and knows that I will shoot it so he gave me what I consider to be a smoking deal. It has 15 shots down the pipe. Comes with 200 head stamped 5 x 35 brass and Lee dies which I am not crazy about but I can worry about that later. He lives an hour away from me and I will pick it up some time this week.

Anyone out there have some load data that can get me started, that would be awesome.

I am very excited about this snappy little round.

Thanks very much,
Joe

Last edited by Mwd800; 06-25-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Try here: http://www.smallcaliberclub.com
They seem to thrive on that caliber.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 PM

Default I have spoken to...

By about this cartridge many years ago when he was still with us, and he liked Benchmark a lot in this case.Mic McPherson his partner can probably fill you in on their favorite load.
Congrats on a neat rifle and cartridge.
Matt
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 PM

I run H322 in both of mine. You can do a search here on this forum, 29grs with the 39-40 gr bullet is a good place to start.

I shoot the 32's-40's, H322 worked so well for me, I haven't tried much else. I know one of our members shoots Tac in his.

Did you get a Lee Collet NS die with it?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:36 PM

Default Now the trick

Will be to find new brass for it.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 AM

I make mine from Lapua 6BR. Neck down to 20 and fire-form, nothing to it.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 PM

Bowfisher,

No it came with standard Lee dies. I have found that they are scraping the necks really badly as shown below.

I tried adjusting the shell holder and then turning the die to different positions but it did it in all positions, but in varying degrees. Not sure if I should run some emery cloth up there to smooth the edges down or something else. I have never run in to this problem before so any suggestions are welcome.

On to problem # 2. I made up a dummy round last night to get the OAL to the ogive for 35 gr Bergers and when I tried to extract the dummy I realized the extractor is on the wrong side. I called the man I bought it from and he sounded baffled. He is away for the weekend and will look when he gets home. I will wait and see if he can find it, if not, come up with plan "B".

Thank you for your help,

Joe
Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 PM

I have had something similar hapen before, but it was caused from the collet getting stuck in the up position in the die. So the neck of the brass was trying to enter a closed collet. I had to take the die apart and smooth up the top of the collet and the area it goes into and lightly lubricated it. I have not had any issues since.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:57 AM

So I couldn't really see anything in the reloading room so I got my cheap little camera and put it on Macro settings, and look what I found.

You can see the imperfections in these pics. Now question is do I try and smooth them out myself or ??? Any input is welcome.

Joe
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 AM

Default Well, I bought it.

I would take a dowell, wrap some fine steel wool on it and give it a shot, by spinning it into the die/neck area with a drill. Might do the trick of cleaning it up. If that does not work, I would package the die up, send it to the maker and see if they will replace it, or just buy a new die. Depends on how much you want to fool with it. Bill K