Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Default 17 Fireball

Ran across a Shilen 1-9" with low round count for a Savage small shank action, priced right. So, what the heck. I have read a fair bit about it and seems it is a likable cartridge.
Tinkering may cause another rash of chasing down another action, as this one was acquired for 17 Remington. I really like the 17HH, but dislike the feeding from the magazine or single loading for that matter. The 17 Fireball may replace it, if I have a liking for it.

17FB head stamped brass seems pretty much none existent. I don't really want to have to neck turn, but it has its advantages and I am set up for it.

Can 300BO be put into service or will it end up short? Or,just bite the bullet and find some 221 Lapua brass.
I have been down the rabbit hole of making brass. Dug out my notes and dies I used to make 256 magnum and some rimmed 221 brass from 357 and 357 maximum. Back then I had no progressive press. All the dies set up in a progressive, one at a time in order to run by feel (use kind of like a turret press). I think I could chunk outa sizable amount of brass in short order.

I had made a jig years ago for the bandsaw to cut down 30-30 cases for the Herrett's. Thinking on the same order for these shortened 223. Long jig, ten at a time.
If anyone has a spare set of 17FB dies, I would grab them rather than the $35 ones from midsouth.
Jeff
Old 12-02-2018, 03:06 PM

300 BO is short I am 94% sure of that. There are couple of guys selling it formed from LC brass for a fairly reasonable price.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Default 17 Fireball

About the only place you will find 17 FB head stamped brass is buying factory/new Remington ammo, via the likes of Amazon or Cheaper than Dirt. Other than that, form from 223 or obtain, as you said, Nosler or Lapua 221fb and neck down, very easy to do.
You will find, I believe, that you will really like the 17 fb. mine with a 1/9 twist medium weight varmit pre-fit on a savage action shoots very nice. 20/25 grain bullets over CFE Blk. Bill K
Old 12-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Check out Sleeping Giant Brass. They have 17 Fireball brass, formed
from LC once fired brass. $40.00/100
Old 12-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member

If we could buy reformed LC brass up here, let alone that cheap, I would never make a case myself. Really glad I bought a wack of factory brass when it was available.

I will be very surprised if you don't really like the 17 FB. If have a few 17s and it is far and away my favourite. Much better brass than the 17 AH or HH and way easier on barrels than the 17 Rem, without giving up much for speed. Loaded with 25 grain Vmax and Benchmark I can get over 3900 fps. It is absolutely devastating on gophers out to 400 yards or more.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Default 17fb

I like it for PDs and have shot a couple coyotes with my 17 fb. It’s marginal for coyotes in my view.
I stumbled on to 300 pieces of once fired factory head stamp brass and that has served me well. Hope Rem or someone makes a run of brass
Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 PM

There's loads of 17FB brass out there on the web. It's just loaded. https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...=17%20fireball

It turns up now and then. One just has to be alert and check the forums.
I stumbled on to a hundred rounds of new in the bag and a box of 50 loaded last month. It was posted on this forum. It was listed for three or four days and the seller still had it. I think he still had fired brass remaining.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 PM

Default 17 FB dies

I am in DC this week, away from the Mule Ranch, but I will look on Friday, I think I have an extra set..
Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Lol, I went back and looked about brass and dies. I had forwarded an ad for some 17FB brass,ammo and dies.

I didn't plan on fooling with one, but the price was right to test drive one for cheap.

I did some digging and found some 221 brass in my stash.

Got a shopping cart at midsouth with some stuff in it so I will go ahead and order dies from them. Off this week and hope the barrel shows by next weekend.
Jeff
Old 12-02-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Lol, I went back and looked about brass and dies. I had forwarded an ad for some 17FB brass,ammo and dies.

I didn't plan on fooling with one, but the price was right to test drive one for cheap.

I did some digging and found some 221 brass in my stash.

Got a shopping cart at midsouth with some stuff in it so I will go ahead and order dies from them. Off this week and hope the barrel shows by next weekend.
Jeff
Was that the person on LongRangeHunting? If it was, I bought some of his stash. Oh, and THANKS!