Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

The 77/rimfires some the best ever made! I want to see the 22 magnum that will out shoot my VMBZ! My 77/hornets are great shooters! My 77 ultra light has killed more deer than I can remember! My single six is a blast to shoot. My R/A in 204 an 22 250 are tack drivers! Whos got the largest and richest gun company in the world?!!! Ruger!!!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 PM
Administrator

I drooled over the m77 VTs as I started my varmint hunting career. I found a 22-250 used for $350 25 yrs ago and learned to handload with that rifle. Then found a 22H varmint to match. Started out rough but the lilgun and factory crimp made it into a legitimate half inch gun. Killed a pile of groundhogs with those. Bought a walnut stocked 257 Roberts. Biggest turd on the planet. I tried EVERYTHING. Best groups were 1 1/2", but not repeatable or consistent. I generally don't sell guns...sold that to a friend for his daughter and she's killed a pile of deer with it and never complained.

Most recently, I got a Super Redhawk 44 mag. Professionally shortened barrel to 4" and sight moved back. It's a hoot to shoot, especially with buffalo bore +p ammo. Very accurate. Need to kill something besides watermelons with it.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 AM

Default Redundant Ruger Ramblings....

. Bought a walnut stocked 257 Roberts. Biggest turf on the planet. I tried EVERYTHING. Best groups were 1 1/2", but not repeatable or consistent.

And the Ruger I bought years back, in 257 Roberts is very accurate, I guess just a fortunate draw.. Now the youngest son has it and it is still dropping deer and hogs, with no problem. Bill K
Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 AM

Ruger, I have more than a dozen wheel guns. Yeah some have their quirks, but easily fixable or able to work with them.

SW, I was a HUGE fan 20 years ago. Biggest POS I ever bought was a 625JM.

Sorry for the derail of the thread.

Last edited by JSH; 12-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Forgot one......

Can’t believe I forgot to list my 77V in .220 Swift,it’s got the tang safety and red recoil pad and it is a good shooter too.I think we owe a lot to Bill Ruger,nothing like shooting a 1V at a distant varmint.
Matt
Old 12-06-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Can’t believe I forgot to list my 77V in .220 Swift,it’s got the tang safety and red recoil pad and it is a good shooter too.I think we owe a lot to Bill Ruger,nothing like shooting a 1V at a distant varmint.
Matt

Haha, I forgot a few as well.

Ruger MK II 22/45 Target (22lr)

Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 (shoots consistently sub MOA with wolf 123gr HP russian steel case ammo that costs $.021 per round shipped)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Default Won’t be the last either....

Thinking about a Bisley in 41mag,or a 45 Colt,or both
Have been enjoying wheelguns and H-110 lately.
Matt
Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Supporting Member

I'm one of those unfortunate souls who has almost lived his entire life without having ever bought a bad Ruger, with one exception. Years ago after Ruger no longer made them, I bought two new in box tang safety Rugers in 284 Winchester. The one I shot would occassionally key hole bullets at 100 yards, but the key holed bullet was always on target..... It's now a 6.5-284 and it shoots extremely well.

I have owned a bunch of others, both rifles and handguns, over the years, and all have been durable and more than acceptable for their purpose. A personal favorite for no special reason other than it's a great tool is a 5" barrel stainless Redhawk in 45 Colt. One of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever owned is a blue/walnut sporter weight newer Hawkeye rifle in 220 Swift.

My two latest Rugers are both chambered in 17 WSM built on that infamously inaccurate 77 RF action, and they are both extremely good shooters that have made me come to adore the Winchester rf cartridge. All of my 77's built off the action have been accurate rifles, and I've bought more than just a few over the years.

What's not to like???

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Thank you Bill Ruger and family! And all the folks that work at Ruger!!!! I've made me very happy hunter shooter with all my fine Ruger firearms!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Thinking about a Bisley in 41mag,or a 45 Colt,or both
Have been enjoying wheelguns and H-110 lately.
Matt
I have both, Bisley Hunter 41 mag and a 45 Colt Bisley 5.5 barrel.

45 colt cylinder I had to open up to .4525, it pinned at .451. The .41 mag is due to get opened up also. I have no issue with this. A lot harder to put metal back than hone out a smidge.

Buddy has a Colt in 45 Colt, an over priced turd. Cylinders pin at .450-.458, figure that out. I told him to sell it and buy an FA.

My SW 625JM had cylinder issues. The 45acp headspace off of the case mouth, yet mine came with a tapered throat more in line with a rimmed case. Two moon clips full and you had to beat on the ejector rod to get them out! Brilliance.

I had a tang saftey 77 that was a rechambered from 06 to 06AI. For any gain to be had you had to run 180's. To get 150-165 class bullets up to speed, I had to burn a fair bit more powder. So my findings were as many others with that chamber. Sold it when a guy wanted it more than I did. Beautiful piece of wood.

I ran across a 77, new old stock unfired in 6.5x55. For some unknown reason I really like it. Don't know if the owner and I will come to agreeable terms. We did exchange casual insults before I left though,lol.
Jeff