Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

You are right about the amount of material that would have to be removed for the CCM.

Although I wish you'd keep this kind of stuff to yourself!!! My mind is already wandering about not only doing a 22 CCM, but a 20 and 27 version also... Just what I need to be thinking about
Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
You are right about the amount of material that would have to be removed for the CCM.

Although I wish you'd keep this kind of stuff to yourself!!! My mind is already wandering about not only doing a 22 CCM, but a 20 and 27 version also... Just what I need to be thinking about
I happen to have a 22 Rush reamer....

Adam
Old 06-25-2016, 03:58 AM
Supporting Member

great job Adam! Now you have me looking for brass that I don't even have lol

And thumbing through

SCN Winter 2000 - Vol. 3 No. 4
Old 06-25-2016, 11:50 AM

Seems like I remember a SCM article about the 22 Rush being based on the 32 auto? and that the author remarked that he might have pondered the 32 S&W Long as the basis. I reckon that the longer cartridge would be easier to handle in loading, but the shorter original performed to his expectations well too

These S&W Long cases have been wildcated for a long time. I remember that Ruger built a 32 S&W Long Ruger No.1 for a General as a type of garden gun. As I recall the article touted Ruger using a 308 barrel, but not figured all of that out yet, perhaps lead bullet application. Perhaps a live piloted reamer might be the option.

Probably no real reason not to consider the S&W Long necked to 22, 20, 17 or smaller in the No.1. I think the idea of such or similar wildcat in the little Remington bolt gun is worth pondering.

I bought a 358 blank a while back with the idea of building up a 38 special on a No.1 for indoor range use, just because of the availability of brass and bullets in quantity here. That certainly could be extended to a 32 whatever based cartridge for outdoor range use, perhaps the 22/32Long with a flip of the wrist.

A mild, relatively quiet rifle/revolver in a small wildcat...............just fun stuff.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Single Six cylinders etc

Sir, Al Story sells new Single Six cylinders he makes. I would rather have his than factory cylinders. All the holes line up better and are more uniform. Also would rather use 22 long rifle cylinder than magnum for rechamber. The 22/32 S&W long can be loaded from 22 CB cap velocity to well over 22 mag. After dealing with Squirrel, Rush and 22/32 S&W long would personally rather use S&W long case. I have played with it longer though.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 PM

I've got a .22 CCM barrel for Thompson-Center TCR-87's. It is probably the only one to come out of their old Custom Shop as it was special order. That is, it was a caliber they offered in Contender barrels but not TCR barrels, but they agreed to make one. It is good for 1.0 MOA or better. It has a long throat so I guess pressures were on the low side for Cooper's recommended loads and so was velocity by several hundred fps. I load 8.0 grains of Winchester 296 and get 2,225 fps with the Sierra 40-grain Hornet bullets. In my experience the round nose Hornet bullets kill real well even if they have a low BC. I shot a .22 Hornet as a kid and they would almost cut a 13-lined ground squirrel in half. I latter shot them with a .22-250 with pointed HP's which did not do as much damage. Also, Jack O'Conner chronographed some factory loads and gave the results in a book or article and the actual velocity for that .22 Hornet load was only 2,400 fps, not 2,690 as advertised. Anyway, the fox and a bunch of feral cats shot with it died really quick. I haven't used that .22 CCM barrel much anymore except for shooting some Wyoming prairie dogs last summer. That's not because it's not a good caliber but because my .17 Hornet barrels have a lot flatter trajectory.

Also, GLWenzl, we haven't talked in a long time!