Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-29-2016, 09:57 PM

Default beagles.

have kept them off and on to hunt rabbits. the 12" variety. they are not the best of house dogs. difficult to house train and can be " hard headed ", much like some pointers. for my money I would get a different breed for an inside dog. each to his own.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Sorry to hear it Rick.
Never had a beagle or mix.
Didn't want or need a dog again being single again and wanting to "Go".
Then I met Rhonda about 6 yrs ago and her friend Art that was dying. Had a Schipperke. About a foot high, 6lbs too heavy now at 26lbs. Friendliest dog I've ever seen. Loves everyone whether she's met 'em before or not.

She's 12 now. Art had bad infections and diabetic etc. Lost a leg, nearly blind. Knew him about 3-4 months is all. Got to be good friends. Took him to the ER about every two weeks when infection got bad. In one day, went to visit the next evening and said: "George, I think I'm going to die this time, I only have one worry". "what's that Art?" "who's going to take care of my dog? She runs to meet you when you drive up, you've taken her home and good care while I've been in here so much, she seems to love you". "I'd love to have your dog Art, your worries are over". "wonderful!" He died the next morning. Rhonda was around 5 1/2 yrs til 3/3/15 when she OD'd. Now it's just me n Midnight. Man I'd miss her!
We've always had dogs of one kind or another. My last was a blue healer. Fox took that to heart too! Great one man dog. Hell of a watch dog. Stubborn, wouldn't let anyone else in the truck until I told her: "let 'em in", then she'd move over. Loved to swim, had to watch her or she'd jump out of the boat into the lake, or off the far end of the dock. She knew her camo was perfect and would sit up close behind brush and mighty hard to see. Ranger came up behind me one evening. "mister, call your dog off". She had him cornered! He said: "There's no sneaking up behind you with your dog around".

Good for you getting another or two. Good luck with them, hope they're around a long time too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Beagle

I am a Beagler with 50 plus years of owing them. my oldest was 14 April 3 this year. normally bred for either 13 inch or 15 inch. In my experience if they are bred for hunting or trial dogs they do not do well indoors. My house dog and companion is a Jack Russell 12n pounds of terror, but great when you get it under control. Good Luck
Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Arner View Post
I am a Beagler with 50 plus years of owing them. my oldest was 14 April 3 this year. normally bred for either 13 inch or 15 inch. In my experience if they are bred for hunting or trial dogs they do not do well indoors. My house dog and companion is a Jack Russell 12n pounds of terror, but great when you get it under control. Good Luck
Anyone one that likes Jacks can't be all bad. I'm on my fifth all but the first one have been rescue dogs.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss......... I ran Beagles for about 15 years. As mentioned by others, House training is very difficult. Mine wouldn't do there business in front of you but sneak off to some hidden corner and leave a surprise package. (never could figure out the size ratio) Mine were basically outside dogs with the exception of very hot or extremely cold weather. When brought in they were confined to the back porch. They seem to be a bit hard headed and need the guidance of an electric collar to "make them hear you" seems as if they have selective hearing. Doesn't take much, just an attention getter. If you let them loose in the yard don't take your eye off of them as they are masters of slipping off and going hunting. Luckily I live in a remote area and my recoveries were always in the Cedar swamp behind the house. Poor old snowshoe hare there was well conditioned! I did have one female that was exceptional in the hunting department. She would retrieve wounded rabbits and hunt upland birds as well. Visualize a pointer locking up, (NOT) well with the Beagle it was sounding off and hot footing after the bird. Great for running down wounded roosters. Always a downfall though, bird hunting was always second in her book so If one encountered a rabbit while bird hunting you had to have a little time out from birds and take care of the rabbit business. Terrible way to spend a day! Hope this helps...

Aaron
Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

No advice on the Beagles but my condolences on the loss of Lucy. Thee absolute worst part about being a pet owner. In my 43 years of life, I can say without reservation that was the worst day of my life, saying goodbye to my old boy Remington.

Best of luck in your search Rick and take solace in knowing that you were able to enjoy the companionship of an amazing pooch for as long as you did. Not everyone is that blessed unfortunately.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM

I know it's the internet but I just Googled: Are Beagles hard to housebreak. Lots of information available for consideration.

We have used the crate-training method on every pup we have brought home in the last 25 years. This includes two JRT's, an Australian Kelpie, one mutt and currently an Australian Shepherd. Only five puppies for us but, it seems to work quickly with minimal confusion on the dogs' part.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Arner View Post
I have long been a Beagle fan but have never been able to have one. I have always wondered something, but never really found out the answer. Between the Beagle varieties, is one of them considered to be the "standard" and the other the offshoot in development?

Thanks,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

sorry for your loss Rick.

If you want a rabbit dog, get a beagle.

The best beagle was also the ugliest.l

I have had a lot of them, all hard headed.

If I wanted a hunting dog. I'd buy one from a breeder

ready to hunt. I can't advise on house dogs. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.