Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Dying a laminate stock, Rampro project VT20

Has anyone tried dying a laminate stock? Here are some pics of my Rampro 20T project. I went with a minwax stain that several guys over on RFC had been using. When I picked up this action and bought a barrel I found out real quick that no one makes a stock for the small Rampro and the rings have to be Rampros because of the unique spacing(makes you wonder what those guys were thinking). After talking with Kevin Weaver he cut me a great deal on taking a 65.00 un-inletted stock from Boyds and pillared and bedded it. So now it's what color to use. I'm not sure I'm crazy with the results as the stain doesn't soak in evenly on the laminate. After 3 attempts and a unfinished stock still sitting there I went over it with some 320 grit and coated it with tru-oil. Reasoning was I could camo it if I didn't like it and I was just tired of looking at it in it's raw state. Action is a small Rampro, Rampro rings, Nikon 4.5x14, Shilen std trigger set at 1.5lbs, Shilen 1-12tw #5, 231nk. She shoots the 32gr vmax into .5" with RL7 running about 3750fps. Took a shot on a feral sow Saturday night at dusk, about 200lbs, quartering away about 265yds. Hit her in the shoulder at a angle, didn't drop her, didn't think it would.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Supporting Member

Great rig and nice job of finnishing it.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

I've read threads over on rimfirecentral.... they mix there rit dye with isopropyl alchohol... helps the die bleed into the lammy wood. Seen a few with pics done this way, turned out really nice, not splotchy... nice and even.

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rit

Thee seems to be 2 camps, one uses Rit in various ways, the other Minwax. The instructions tell you to prep and clean, wipe on the stain and then wipe off with a clean rag......it don't work that way..at least it did'nt for me. I didn't get 1/4 of the way done and it was tacky already, there was no wiping gonna be done on that stock anytime soon. Let it dry then took sandpaper to it, a lot of sandpaper.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Supporting Member

Chuck I tried the Rit dye on several stocks. I could see where a solid wood stock would accept the dye but with all the glue in laminates layers, it does a poor job. I did like shooting a clear coat sealer on first, block sand it down and then tint the next layer of clear with a Candy color of your choice. A gray laminate really looks good.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Supporting Member

A good points been brought up.... thats exactly why they mix the alchohol with the dye.... all the glue. The isopropyl soaks into most anything, pulling the dye along with it, even in glued laminate wood.

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.