Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default Dog Town bullet & Varmint Nightmare

I assume the Dog Town bullet from Midway and Varmint Nightmare from Mid South are one and the same. Except the pricing of course. Midway seems to think theirs is worth about $20 per 500ct more. Anyone more familiar with these? I am needing to work up a load for my sons big bore .223. Which has not arrived yet, but I am chomping at the bit. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM

They shoot good in my 17's and 20's. I think they are the same, I have never had both in my hand however, I have the Dogtown bullets and would send you a couple of the 20's and 17's if you can find someone with the ones from Mid South to compare them to. Larry
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default They're the same

I have them both and compared them in weight(same), base to ogive(same) and then took a jewelers loupe and compared the HP in a side to side(same). I'm not sure who made them, I"ve heard Winchester or Nosler, take your pick. I can say that after shooting them in a Tac20, 20VT, and a 204 that they won't outshoot a 32gr Vmax, or Sierra BK out of any chambering I've tried. If I can shoot .5 with the Vmax/Sierra then the Midsouth cheapie will shoot .75-1" either naked or with Danzac. Still for volume shooting they're not bad, as usual your mileage may vary.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

I have the varmint nightmare in 17 caliber and have three 17 barrels that shoot them just fine and one barrel that throws about one out of three or four wild. I don't do high volume shooting with a 20 caliber. I am waiting until I have a used .223 LH, I bought for my wrong eyed son. I have owed him this for about 32 years. Ever since the day he wanted a new bow and I made him start shooting left handed. He was twelve and I could still beat him up. As soon as I get this rifle in my hands and find out the twist, I will give some of these a try. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Supporting Member

Kenny:
I have an abundance of the MidSouth Extremes 50sp, 55sp, and the 55hp, maybe even some of the basic Nightmares, which as a 55sp w/cannelure, has the exact profile (secant ogive?)as a Hornady 55.

The 50's have shot very well out of my AR's, and the 55hp's in the only load tried were sub-MOA (but not by much).

Big bore discussions could get us banned, so let's resolve this quickly

Send me your address in a PM, and I will send you enough for thorough testing.

Greg
Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Both bullets being discussed are in fact produced by Nosler for the bulk market.

They also produce a .17 cal 20gr bullet of the same configuration under the title "Shots". My 17AH thrives on 'em.