Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-30-2018, 08:37 PM

Possibly! It may be made under licence in a few places. The container I have here:
https://goo.gl/images/vukbtz
Is made by ADI ( Australian Defence Industries) by Thales Australia Limited, Mulwala, NSW, Australia

I notice on a lot of other images, the containers are different and they have IMR stamped on them.

Bill

Last edited by Bills Shed; 04-30-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Default Max brothers, are they really breaking up?

I have played around with the 20gn, Z/V brothers for the last week trying to see how much they break up at lower velocity. Please note that none of these projectiles were pushed past 2100f/s and the test media was water which was not field conditions but handy and repeatable.

I agree that the projectiles break up but only reliably above 1300f/s. When I say break up, they shed their jacket within 8"(yes I measured it) and the front of the core often breaks up /off as well( is about 3gn of the core weight) but the rest of the core continues on mostly unchanged in shape for another 4" of water.
I tested my 20gn projectiles as a comparison and they did no better. I know the core is dead soft and they also made the full 12" of water. My jackets seem to be harder and fragmentate into to very small pieces while the max brothers seemed to hold together better and have large pieces of jacket ( in comparison). My core also retained 80% or more of its mass and remained mostly unchanged.
I tried them on wallaby with a max of 50m and they preformed pretty much the same. The jacket would seperate and after a bit of careful knife work / skinning found tiny holes where the core exited or were just under the skin.
I also tried my 17gn open tip with a small hollow point and this was a bit of a failure as they did not open at all even at 2000f/s. Perfect little pills with rifling marks only. When I left the hollow point open to .100" they again shed their jacket but within 4" and the core continued on for the full 12".
In a nutshell if I want the core to break up at low velocity I need to build a frangable core. Currently trying #9 shot swaged into a core but am struggling to get within .3 consistency. Tried larger shot but just had too many voids that did not fill out and very inconsistent weights.

More R&D required. Suggestions?

Bill

Last edited by Bills Shed; 05-13-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Grammar