Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default hornet brass

Been reading some of the recent posts RE the 22 Hornet and 17AH, Minks, squirrels, etc and it seems every time you read a thread, usually someone mentions differences in hornet brass. "Use this, no, use this" or "this brass is thinner" or "this one holds more powder", etc.

You always here about Rem and Win. Sometimes somebody mentions RWS brass, but it's hard to get. Lately I've been hearing the PRVI brass is pretty good but haven't tried any. The one thing I hardly EVER hear about is Hornady (Frontier) Hornet brass. Why is that? How does it compare to the others?

I found out a long time ago shooting my Ruger 77/22 hornet, that my rifle doesn't like Rem or Win factory loads. Then Hornady came out with the 35 vmax loading. It shot them pretty well, so that's all I bought until I learned to reload. Now I have a bunch of the Hornady brass and with handloads, the gun is incredibly accurate. I busted a few eggs at 200 yds with it at the Eastern Saubier shoot last year. (Yes, I know Ruger Hornets aren't supposed to be accurate. I did have to shim the bolt and put in a Timney trigger, but it never really shot all that bad to begin with, certainly no 'mater stake.)

Been using my Hornady brass in the 22 hornet for over 10 years now, and never lost a case due to splits. I use the "standard" recipe for the 22H, 12.x gr Lil'gun and a 35-40 gr bullet, pistol primers and lee factory crimp. As I worked up to my loads, I quickly found out that my Hornady brass doesn't hold more than about 12.8 gr. lil'gun, even when I swirl it through the funnel and tap the case to settle it. But chrony readings around 3k fps, tell me I'm right where I should be. (I have seen reports of guys using up to 14 gr Lil'gun in their hornet loads! I have absolutely no idea how they get that much in the case.)

When I started loading for the 17AH, I just grabbed a bag of Win brass off the rack, and figured I'd use different brass, for the different calibers. Haven't really shot it enough to start getting to the point where I should be noticing splits. I did crush a few during forming though. So far I'm happy with the Win stuff in the 17AH, but I wouldn't be afraid to try the Hornady.

So, you hornet gurus, what do you guys have to say about Hornady Hornet brass?

Charlie