Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Default 17 Tac

Well, I have been visiting this site for a good while and have took the plunge on a 17 Tac. At 1st I was gong to do a 20 Tac but since I had a 204 I held off. Now that I have made up my mind on a 17 Tac, I have decided when extra funds appearI will do a 20 Tac.
There is alot of good info here and may have some questions along the way.
I am hoping that my factory barrel shoots good (?) so I can run with it. I am basing it off of a SPS Varmint 17 FB. I will plan on a different stock. I may go with H-S stock that is like on my 22-250 VS but tan.
I am excited

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM

Song Dog,

In the last 2 days I have been out shooting my new 17Tac, like yours its a fireball conversion except on a CDL. It has produced a couple nice groups and impressive velocities with the little testing I have done so far. Now all I need to do is find a stupid coyote thats willing to jump in front of a speeding bullet so I can see how it kills!

Its been a blast so far, I am sure you will like it.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM

I can't wait for the coyote report.

One of the deciding points on going with the 17 Tac (which is rather small) is I have little less than 24 lbs of Varget and I asked Todd K, how well does it work with Varget. He told me it was one of the better powders, then I jumped in with both feet. I use Varget in everything else and don't want to buy powder. But, truth be known, if I had to I would.
What bullets are you using? I am planning on the 30 Golds. Dave A has really helped me out by answering ALOT of pms even though his is a Predator. He uses those and if they are good enough for him, thats what I'll use

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 AM

Before you go to far make up a dummy round and see if it will fit into the SPS 17 FB mag. If I remember correctly I tried to place a 222 round in my SPS 17 FB mag and it didn't work.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

It won't work, the newer SPS's are blocked for the 221. Another thing when converting the 17FB it the ejecting of the brass. The 17FB bolt was made with a different ejection point for the smaller case.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 AM

Ab, So you are saying that the SPS Varmint 17 FB mag will not work for the 17 TAC?

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Supporting Member

Yep, you will have to take the block out and modify the mag or find a 223 replacement mag for the 700.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 AM

before you give up the idea, run what you want to do past a good smith and he'll be able to tell the pit falls of using the SPS action. it may be as simple as replacing the bottom metal.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 AM

Thanks guys for the input.
Jim, I will call him tomorrow to find out.
I got the gun waiting for me at our lil retail gun shop, close by. I sure hope he doesn't have to send it back.
If it has to due with bottom metal, it shouldn't be all that bad (I hope). I guess I will find out and hope its good news.
Worst case, idea doesn't work and goto plan B.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Default 17tac

I am converting my 17FB SPS to 17-204. I think all I will need is a 223 follwer and remove the block at the back of the mag box . It should be about the same for the 17tac . I will check it out and let you know . Midway should have everything you need or Brownells should have it also . Thanks! Mark