Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Default OT pistol question

Anyone own the sccy cpx2 9mm? Wondering about anyone's personal experience with it. Got one for a steal and should arrive this week. What I read on the net is some people love them others hate them. It's a small double stack 10+1. Might fill a void for winter carry after I run a 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it to test reliability.

Just realized I posted this in the classified instead of general discussion if a moderator could move it for me please.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Supporting Member

For the money, if it proves to be reliable it looks like a reasonable choice for a CC.

I've shot one (one magazine full of 9MM) but it isn't my pistol. It belongs to an old friend of a friend of mine, so to speak. I didn't like the long and hard DA only pull on the trigger but you could probably get used to it if you had to. This particular pistol was bought for the guy's wife who did not like it at all in that it did not fit her hands (His words, no full explanation, and I don't know his wife. No idea if she has little or big hands...?)

I didn't load a magazine myself but the owner seemed to be struggling with getting a magazine full. Maybe the magazine or just him...? Not that loading a magazine quickly and efficiently would be a typical issue with a pistol designed for CC.

Edited to add: The one I shot did have 2 or 3 FTF in 50 rounds while I was around it. No idea how much it had been shot at that time.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-20-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 AM

Thanks BCB. It was on sale for 199. I found a lighter hammer spring that may reduce the trigger pull weight. For such little money if I don't like it I can easily sell it and probably make a few bucks
Local gunshop have it for 330. It's a gamble but I've taken a few of those and been happy with the results.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

I have no idea what the trigger pull was, but for illustrative purposes, if a lighter hammer spring takes you from 10+ pounds (?) to seven pounds, and the pistol now doesn't go bang every time, what have you accomplished?

The pistol is what it is...... It's a cheap short range life insurance policy that will never become a target pistol no matter how hard you try to make it appear like it is. If you ever have to use it, 10+ pounds versus maybe seven pounds won't be noticeable anyway......... And chances are that the heavy trigger pull is engineered in there for reliability. Minute of convenience store aisle accuracy under stress does not require a smooth light trigger pull.

JMO - BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-21-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I carry a snubby smith airweight. only five but, I've learned to hit an 8" plate at 30yds nearly everytime. I do need much more practice at it again.

I showed it to my gunsmith right after buying it. and he said that trigger needs a little touching up, let me have it for a few days. Man, he did a nice job on it. Around 4lbs, smooth and slick, let's off crisp, no over travel etc.

Empty it's 13oz, full pound with 5 rounds.

I don't trust myself with a semi, therefore I say: "I wouldn't have one if you
gave me the factory". That's my opinion. To each his own.

Good luck with your buy, hope it works fine and makes you happy.

I at one time bought a P40 Kel-Tec for a decent price, don't recall now what it was. My big hands, I couldn't squeeze the trigger far enough to make it go off, the back strap was too small.
Another guy at the range bought a .380 and I couldn't get it to stay within a foot at 5 feet from the target due to the hard short trigger pull. Don't know if he kept it or not. Old, accountant sissified type carried it in a waist pouch, since has died.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 02-22-2017 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

A snub-nosed 38 SPL is probably the best CC there is, George, especially for women who aren't firearm proficient. All you have to do is pull it out and start pulling the trigger.

260: I did a bit of Googling this AM, and the raves run from great to lousy. I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance with one in my pocket, even for $200............ YMMV.

Just my opinion.......

-BCB

Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. The pistol is on its way so no going back now. I plan to put it through its paces before carrying it. I have other pistols I already carry so I'm not desperate. Just testing the waters.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sccy

My nephew had one last spring. He complained that it was keyholing. I had a number of suggestions to try and sort it out, but he sold it before resolving the issue. For the record, his experience with firearms is pretty limited, so I question his observations.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

There's not much can go wrong with a revolver and LOT's that CAN
with a semi. Carrying it in a pants pocket like I do, a hunk of lint or misplaced coin sure can foul things up with a semi. Yet won't even get in the way of a revolver.

Just get it out and start pulling the trigger. Might be limited on ammo supply. But, shucks, five for sure in this, and 7 possibles in most pocket semi's. Not much trade off to get something that's reliable as taking a breath.

I still wish you good luck with it. Hope you'll let us know how it turns out.
Keep this thread found and just reply to it once you get started at it.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"