Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Some day.....

I think I will have to try Dougs 20 Ackley Hornet out on a varmint shoot.Good thing I bought a 6.7 Diesel to haul all my heavy barrels arouund huh guys?
I love my 19 Calhoon,it is a great shooter.I also think someday a 20 Killer Bee
will be built on a Cooper,just don't want to change any of the Coopers around yet.Maybe when the HeBee quits shooting so well.This thread could easily cost
someone some serious coin,all neat little cartridges to build.Like others as I get older I really seem to like the little stuff even more.
Matt
PS did I mention how big my 20 BR barrel is?
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Guilty!

ML
Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

My 20 AH has become one of my favorite rifles. Built mine on a Ruger No 3 at the same time Doug was building his, and with the same reamer. Got a lot of help and advice from Ray and Doug, much appreciated.

I also had PacNor fit and chamber the barrel. In my case a CM 3 groove, 23 inch in the factory contour. I rust blued it and fitted an English walnut semi inletted buttstock that turned out pretty nice.
It shot great ( I had already done all the forend floating magic) right out of the box with 32 gr Vmx and 1680 at 3300 or a bit more. My lot of 1680 takes less than Dougs for the same velocity, so be careful out there!!

I took it shooting prairie dogs last year and fire formed 400 cases with loads running around 3200 fps. Did not get a single complaint from the dogs on the slower speeds. While not as spectacular as a 204, it is deadly out to 250-300 yd.

As mentioned, there are lots of different prints of " 20 Ackley Hornet" so I would second having Whidden cut a die for your specific chamber. I just necked down brass ( Winchester in my case, there is lots of variation in neck thickness, again be careful) and fire formed with no annealing. Others have used a different precess involving necking up to straight and then down to 20. It results in shorter cases with probably less stretch and maybe longer life. I did, however, take a batch of six and loaded at the range. My goal to see how many loadings till they failed. Got bored after 12 so I am not worried about case life or loads too hot.

Sorry for the long rambling post. These are just a few thoughts on a great little round. I can't seem to get photobucket working, maybe I'll see if Doug will post a pic or two for me. Of course they won't have the spectacularly backgrounds.
Larry
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM

Larry it didn't happen with out pictures....�� Doug made us drool over his 20 now it's your turn please.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
My 20 AH has become one of my favorite rifles. Built mine on a Ruger No 3 at the same time Doug was building his, and with the same reamer. Got a lot of help and advice from Ray and Doug, much appreciated.

I also had PacNor fit and chamber the barrel. In my case a CM 3 groove, 23 inch in the factory contour. I rust blued it and fitted an English walnut semi inletted buttstock that turned out pretty nice.
It shot great ( I had already done all the forend floating magic) right out of the box with 32 gr Vmx and 1680 at 3300 or a bit more. My lot of 1680 takes less than Dougs for the same velocity, so be careful out there!!

I took it shooting prairie dogs last year and fire formed 400 cases with loads running around 3200 fps. Did not get a single complaint from the dogs on the slower speeds. While not as spectacular as a 204, it is deadly out to 250-300 yd.

As mentioned, there are lots of different prints of " 20 Ackley Hornet" so I would second having Whidden cut a die for your specific chamber. I just necked down brass ( Winchester in my case, there is lots of variation in neck thickness, again be careful) and fire formed with no annealing. Others have used a different precess involving necking up to straight and then down to 20. It results in shorter cases with probably less stretch and maybe longer life. I did, however, take a batch of six and loaded at the range. My goal to see how many loadings till they failed. Got bored after 12 so I am not worried about case life or loads too hot.

Sorry for the long rambling post. These are just a few thoughts on a great little round. I can't seem to get photobucket working, maybe I'll see if Doug will post a pic or two for me. Of course they won't have the spectacularly backgrounds.
Larry
260Ackley, I got a nice CZ 527 Varmint and had it turned into a .20 Ackley Hornet to go with my .22 Hornet/.22 K-Hornet/ .17 Ackley Hornet/ and .17 Hornady Hornet. A whole hive of Hornets so to speak cause I too "REALLY" like the case!
Then My good buddy Larry gets involved, you know, the guy with actual stock making skill . I hope he knows that after I post these pictures of his rifle I'm going to have to take mine out in the back yard and burn it, "sniff-sniff".
Check this little dandy out, WOWZERS!!

Gotta love them Hornets!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Supporting Member

Default Larry's .20's!

To demonstrate how fast a guy can go over the edge, check out how many rat rifles a guy from Atlanta can acquire in no time at all at least he has good taste.

.20 Ackley Hornet, Cooper .20 VarTarg and a Kimber .204.

Wait till he gets the stock he's working on for his CZ .17 Hornady Hornet done, even in the raw it's obvious it'll be a real beaut! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have some skill instead of all these lovely thumbs ??
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
I think I will have to try Dougs 20 Ackley Hornet out on a varmint shoot.Good thing I bought a 6.7 Diesel to haul all my heavy barrels arouund huh guys?
I love my 19 Calhoon,it is a great shooter.I also think someday a 20 Killer Bee
will be built on a Cooper,just don't want to change any of the Coopers around yet.Maybe when the HeBee quits shooting so well.This thread could easily cost
someone some serious coin,all neat little cartridges to build.Like others as I get older I really seem to like the little stuff even more.
Matt
Good thing ya got a stout truck cause ya sure wouldn't wanna fly em by the pound !!!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 AM

Great looking guns guys
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks,Doug , for posting those pictures. I don't know why I need so many gopher guns when I'm 1,500 miles from the nearest gopher. I hold all of you here on Saubier responsible for the small caliber madness. Sure is fun.

chuckshooter, sorry for hijacking your post. I wish you the best in your exploration of the 20 AH. It's a great little round. If I can help in any way let me know.

Keep us posted as you build one.
Larry
Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM

Larry

I think that picture shows why the gophers are staying 1500 miles away from you

Bill