Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Doug, I know a retired Librarian that could probably help you put that deal together!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default pricing

Sounds like your on top of the pricing issue, probably could even go a little higher depending on the package. Having the brass already, coming with dies, and the builder are all big incentives. Frankly it sounds like a nice rifle but maybe because I'm partial to the 17MK4 and never really got into the 17FB, even after owning a couple. Your buddy on the other hand may be saying hey I got 1500.00 in this rig! Let us know how it goes and of course we need pics with that lovely background.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member

I'm sure with ya on the .17 MachIV Chuck! When I'd just gotten into sub .22 caliber wildcats the .17 MachIV was my first true love, what a dandy! For colony rodents there ain't much better .
When I look at all the rifle's I've had turned into wildcats it's scary how much money a guy's lost in the process, they would all be worth more had they just been left in factory configuration I'd bet. But where's the fun in that ?? I'll get a fair portion of my investment back at some point and it's sure been a hoot putting them together and the introducing them to my little rodent friends .
You got p-dogs down your way don't ya Chuck? Big enough State to have some a most everything I'd guess.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:13 PM

For me, Doug - $300.00 to $500.00 dies included would work - of course, the closer to $300.00, the better.
I don't have a problem with the 10" twist as it will still run laser flat 20gr. Vmax's at about 4,200fps, and 25 Hornady's fast enough for them to work on coyotes.

Last edited by Daryl; 02-11-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter700 View Post
Doug, I know a retired Librarian that could probably help you put that deal together!
Yup, I can hear it already...."Now here's the deal Buster! You buy one more rifle I'm gonna use it on ya "
Guess you knowing her kinda shoots that one down . She don't care what I buy as you well know and she's rather fond of the .17 MachIV herself as far as that goes.
Ain't seen ya around for a while, ever track one a them Beavertail Anschutz down??? If ya like old school they had a really nice Savage/Anschutz M141 over ta Shedhorn last Saturday. MonteCarlo stock with fore-end cap, inlays, nice shape! I thought about ya, "really". I'd a called ya but the Librarian had me by the ear and we was head'n fer the door .
Old 02-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
For me, Doug - $300.00 to $500.00 dies included would work - of course, the closer to $300.00, the better.
I don't have a problem with the 10" twist as it will still run laser flat 20gr. Vmax's at about 4,200fps, and 25 Hornady's fast enough for them to work on coyotes.
Daryl if I offered my friend $300 for that rifle he'd think I was trying to hose him, but only cause I would be . Ya missed the part where I said I wanna be fair "to both of us" . I like the way you think though .
Old 02-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Wink

I like the way this worked out Doug.

He decides to build this gun after you influence his decision to go sub 22 caliber. He sends it to a great small caliber-reputation gunsmith, does more than most might want to pay for, then doesn't use it much. And he thinks of you when he wants to sell it!

Not much better than that, unless you are my son who " long term borrows" all of my Skippy guns causing me to buy a second one to use myself, LOL.

It sounds like a great fit for you, having all that brass. Are you sure you didn't plan on this becoming yours Just kidding

Buy it, regardless if he is $200 more than you feel is fair for yourself. I am sure every Skippy you kill with it will remind you of your friend.

I just got my first Mk 4, need to shoot it once the flood water receeds.

Allen
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Default Need some help on the price of a CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
I have a buddy that discovered sub .22 cal's hanging around with me years back. He bought one of those CZ Varmint Laminate's with the stubby gray laminate stock. Greg Tannel converted it to .17 MachIV using a Pac-Nor 1 in 10 twist 3 groove barrel and cut some in-line dies using Wilson blanks and the same reamer he cut the chamber with.
The rifle hasn't been shot much at all and has rings but no optics.
I've never bought a used wildcat and I have no idea what a fair price on this critter is?? The rifle was purchased many years back when Greg's work was in a whole different price bracket. Also, while the short pull on that CZ fits him it sure doesn't fit me so it'll need a recoil pad added. Wish it was a 1 in 9 twist but it isn't . What do you wheeler dealers think is a good deal for us both? Thanks !!
If you really want to add this firearm to your larder, even if you have to add a recoil pad, Offer him $700.00 and end the bargaining. Remember Greg's work/cost was less, back then. Bill K
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default stocks

I know the synthetic varmints had a short lop, around 12.5". Found out the hard way when I got a good deal one. I didn't realize those gray laminate stocks were short also but at least you can add on to one of those.

Not many PD's in Texas, some in the North West and the pan handle. Lot of 2 legged Rodents, depending on where you live they won't let you shoot them.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-11-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:31 AM
Supporting Member

This is getting off topic a bit maybe, but since the question was asked, the northern Texas panhandle area from Lubbock north into New Mexico and Oklahoma has had some great PD shooting in the past.

The areas around Dumas and surrounding small towns/areas that ten years ago had great PD shooting were hit hard by drought and the plague in the past few years in the Rita Blanca Grassland area and east and south of there. I still have a couple of ranchers that I continue to communicate with that say the pd numbers are coming back but that it will be a few years before its back to earlier year numbers for shooters.

Getting permission to shoot was not hard to get in past years. One rancher that I know had shooter 281 days out of 365 days one year maybe 7-8 years ago. Fingers crossed for the future.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine