Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to 17 Hunter

i was actually surprised how much crack the .17 fireball makes. there's no mistaking it for a shotgun or a pistol round. it's about as loud as i'd want to shoot without hearing protection though i wouldn't make a habit out of it.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Supporting Member

I don't even shoot a .22Long Rifle once with out hearing protection.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM

montdoug, thats a very good statement, that up and coming shooters should heed. I very seldom fire a shot these days without a sound moderator fitted.Just trying to retain what hearing i have left. Regards, Ken.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
...bought 8000 cases, as at the time I had 5 17M4's...
Alex
Didn't buy into any scare, but I did stock up on 221FB brass for your other reason Alex... I had 5 221FB's and 3 17M4's. All the FB's are gone now, one of the M4's and I won't shoot the other two, so I have been selling off the brass off and on for a couple of years. Amazing how you just don't realize how much you've accumulated in supplies until you gather it all up in one place.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicN View Post
Reb,
Your excitment is justified as nobody has too many 17AH's; 4 in my safe.

I'm pretty taken back with all of you on this forum, seems you find a caliber you like and then end up with a pile of them. If you don't mind me asking, what models are your 4 rifles in 17AH?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Talking Squirrel, I really wish you didn't ask questions like that!

Rick is going to answer, and my wantitis will be triggered and....

Alex
Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Supporting Member

That's so true, we do tend to stock up. When I get this Cooper in It sill be the 3rd 20 Mink I have owned. There will be one more on the way too, a CZ. It's coming this next summer.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:18 PM

So far the 17M4 is my all time favorite caliber. The 17FB to me is a cheesy imitation, even though it's ballistics are identical. The fact that Remington did not just chamber rifles in 17M4 simply pisses me off to the point I will never buy one. The need to Call it a Remington caliber over an already favorite wildcat I will never understand. What's next the 17 remington Hornet?

I'll keep my m4 dies and brass, never going to switch that one over.

I wish someone would build a bolt action that fits the stubby case, a shortened rem model seven action would be great. The way a m4 case swims in a 700 action is the only reason my 17rem has not been converted.

If a m38 ever pops up in 17m4 I will sell the dog to buy that one, one of my "always on the look out for" rifles.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
If a m38 ever pops up in 17m4 I will sell the dog to buy that one, one of my "always on the look out for" rifles.

Here's one thats getting dumped by a buddy of mine....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=145866360
Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
So far the 17M4 is my all time favorite caliber. The 17FB to me is a cheesy imitation, even though it's ballistics are identical. The fact that Remington did not just chamber rifles in 17M4 simply pisses me off to the point I will never buy one. The need to Call it a Remington caliber over an already favorite wildcat I will never understand. What's next the 17 remington Hornet?

I'll keep my m4 dies and brass, never going to switch that one over.

I wish someone would build a bolt action that fits the stubby case, a shortened rem model seven action would be great. The way a m4 case swims in a 700 action is the only reason my 17rem has not been converted.

That is certainly one version and more than a few agree with you.
Then there's always the other viewpoint that would include: there have been many different .17MachIV reamers out there over the years and if Remington cut a chamber and called it a .17 MachIV and someone with a custom MachIV chamber had a big problem with Remington's version of ammo in their rifle it would be a lawyers field day. Add to that the Rick Jamison-anoya that has ivaded the gun industry since ole Ricky boy got rich off Winchester by way of lawsuit, arguably hastening their demise?? That is the one where Remington uses a patented name and O'Brien's estate or whoever has that patent rights waits till there are beau-coup MachIV's out there sold by Remington and then sues them for 3percent of everything Remington has sold or will sell, ala-the Jamison short mags and Winchester.
Much easier to just tweak a few thou here and there and wa-la, Hasta-la-lawyers. Besides it still leaves us wildcatters something all our own that's different from the herd .
Something to consider anyway.