Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Prairie Dog Chaser

While on my recent PD trip in Ea Colorado, my Brother brought me a prairie dog chase vehicle. A fellow employee of my Brother restores old vintage Hodaka motorcycles. I had a Hodaka Super Rat 100cc moto cross bike when I was in 7th grade. I picked up this restored beauty from him. It is a Hodaka Wombat which is licensed and street legal. It is a 125cc two stroke that operates on pre-mix fuel.
Rodent named dirt bikes, what better field vehicle to run around in the PD towns??

BHB
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Supporting Member

I asked if that was yours and you said no, I was really hoping to see some cahing a prairie rattler on that thing. LOL, Adam
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Supporting Member

I'll check w/friend of mine, he had a wall full of pistons for that model. Some had holes on the intake side, ported for reed valve set up,most had holes in the top, definitely lowered compression ratio. nice looking retro, should paint it camo, not as blinding. lol tom.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sorry Adam

I miss understood your question. You could have ridden on the rear rack. It looks comfortable.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Hodaka

I never heard of that name, made in Japan?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Nice bike. They were great in the day - mid-late 60's. A buddy had one, ran Blendzall, smelled just like real castor oil. I remember it well. He also had a Bultaco 250 and a Montesa 250.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM

A couple of my cousins bought those for messing around in the farm country. After one of the bikes croaked, it was replaced with a Puch (as in Steyr, Daimler, Puch) for chasing the cows to the milking barn. After fooling around with gas-powered stuff for many years, they went back to horsepower again, the horses can go places in mud that motorcycles cannot.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default Oil Smell

That oil smell comment brought up memories. How our mind stores smells baffles me. I remember Klotz oil smell. Probably illegal to sell these days. I rode with guys who rode Bultacos, Maicos, Huskys, couple of CZs, Benelli and one little guy had an AMF Harley Sprint. Sprint guy usually was in our dust.
After my trans broke in Super Rat I bought a Can AM. What a bike that was in 1979.

BHB
Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Supporting Member

That picture brings back fond memories, had a Combat Wombat new off the sales floor .
By the way, you forgot to mention the Montessa's and Ossa's. Gotta be fair to all of em .
My first true love was my first "new" bike, a 250 Ducati Scrambler. I was a 4 stroke guy (mostly) but couldn't resist a "smoker" now and then. Picked up a used 500CC Matchless single that put some legs on me when I was but a nipper, that big thumper beat my scrawny little self half to death starting it for quite a few years . Wheelied it across the football field during practice when I was in the 8th grade, made the top slot on the coaches "butthead list" for life .
Yeah, it's safe to say I been motorcycle afflicted since I was knee high to a duck.
Thanks for sharing the picture, that one looks brand new.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Sweet bike Bob, Hodaka's model names always made me chuckle. I had a friend with a Road Toad.

How big was your Can-AM? I had a 1980 Can-Am 400 that was a man eater.