Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 PM

Stevo, That is totally cool that you send a boy home with a rifle. The ideas that have been presented for the scout troop are both great. If you need any more ideas, let me know as I am an active scoutmaster and could probably add more ideas. Be safe and enjoy your shoot. Burt
Old 10-28-2016, 02:20 AM
Supporting Member

Burt I have a nephew that made his Eagle 3 years ago. We got him the Henry Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute Rifle.

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout. Think I made Second Class Scout and that was it. Started playing football and discovered girls and that was the end of the Scouts.

We have 2 NRA Certified Instructors and a retired CO with NJPTC Firearms training. When the kids leave Sunday afternoon they will know how to safely use a Rifle Range (Bet some parents learn a thing or two also), and the mechanics of accurate shooting. They will meet other kids with similar interests.

The retired CO that volunteered his time tells me he will be bringing a 5MM Remington Magnum. Hell I want to shoot that one LOL.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Supporting Member

Default Scouts

I'm knee deep in my son's troop. We work pretty hard to get the boys Eagled up before they're 16th birthdays. That's when the fumes kick in, car fumes and perfumes. After that it can be a struggle with the fumes and high school.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Supporting Member

I am kind of holding back on gifting a gun.

I would like to teach this kid to call me when he is not going to show up

or be home at a time I am to pick him up.

Maybe learn to say thank you when someone does something for you.

I don't think his parents ever learned any of this stuff either. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Sounds like a really good time.
I have never been a big hunter, but I felt the need to instill firearm safety in my 3 children. I have always had firearms in the house, and reloading equipment laying around.
At there young age 9-10 the best way was to take then to the NRA hunters safety course. My children are in there mid 20's now and still talk about when they took there hunters each test, who had the best score, so that makes then the safest with a rifle..lol..
Probably one of the best things I've done as a dad with my kids..lol..it only took a weekend.
I know my children love shooting any time we go to the gun club they laugh, and have a great time shooting and sitting around talking as a family.
They talk about gun safety, what to do, what not to do, friends that need to take the hunters safety course, or friends they want to take shooting to help then learn how to safely handle a firearm.
It also teaches the importance and need for hunting, safety when in the outdoors( not just with guns) and to respect wild life and it's habits.
As you can see I'm long winded in this topic.
Because it is still bringing me joy after all these years..I believe it helped enriched my childrens lives, and keep then safe.
Believe me just because someone owns a firearm doesn't mean they know how to handle it safely..hell..go to any CCW class and you will see adults who almost shoot them selves or others by simply being careless..
( Once the trigger is pulled, there is no stopping that bullet) I don't think people understand that in the real world.
I'm am and will always be 100% in support of any class, or clinic, outing.. whatever that promotes the teaching of , gun safety, and tasks that every gun owner should know..how to clean a gun, how to mount a scope, how to safely store a gun in the home, ( how to keep a gun safe in a home with children)..
A small investment in time, at a young age will keep children safe and from doing stupid things with guns..
Just my opinion and what I have experienced..for me

Last edited by 1coolcat; 11-06-2016 at 12:13 AM.