Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Supporting Member

Default Kids

Sunday is our Mischief Night Range Day for the local kids. We have 3 events each year. First event teaches Range use and safety. 2nd event teaches them shooting techniques. First two we use only Rim Fire. But the 3rd event we move up to small caliber center fire. We teach them how to mount a scope, bore sight, and zero. Because of the fiasco we had with the Range our first and second event's are going to be crammed into one. I have 3 donated .22 Rifles to give away this year. We have a few kids that come who's parents don't shoot or even own a Rifle. Not many, most bring there own. But when we do, we make sure every kid owns a .22 Rifle when they leave.

I know it's hard to believe but there are some kids out there that do not own a .22.

What's this world coming too?

If you have never been involved in this kind of thing it is very rewarding. The kids really learn when you add the fun factor. And it ensures our tradition of Shooting Sports and Hunting will carry on.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member

(I know it's hard to believe but there are some kids out there that do not own a .22??)

If no one in the family is into hunting or shooting, you may never be so inclined.
Not hard at believe at all. Depends on where you live and how you were raised.

I was raised in the City. No shooters or guns in the home. Got my first gun when I was maybe 18 or 19. Ruger Mk I cause it looked like a Luger.
Had friends that did a little "range" shooting. Pistols (22s) and 22 rifles. No big bore stuff till I got much older. Too busy feeding the kids and not having the extra $$ to spend on guns. Then, I got into building rifles. Still love and enjoy shooting in general.

We shot at the local "Police range". Any caliber pistol and only 22 caliber rifles.
Had the Cops come after us for shooting "big bore rifles"???
22 Mag lever guns. Much louder than the 22 LR.
And they jumped us one time because we were shooting off range. BB guns out in the field. Once they saw they were BB guns, it was a different story. They turned out to be a real good bunch of guys.
One of them even told us to "be careful or you'll shoot your eye out".

I do remember very well when one guy showed up at the range with a scoped pistol. Pulled out this soft case and laid it on the roof of his mini car. Asked if there were any rabbits around? We pointed out an area at the top of the range. Pulled out this pistol and field glasses. Got sighted in, told us to whistle. Watched him pop a rabbit from maybe 75 yards with his Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. That was a shot to remember. None of my kids are into guns or shooting. I did take my eldest Grand Son (late 20s) out and show him how to shoot long range stuff and pointed out the fact that his "big shot" AK shooting friends didn't know JACK about rifle accuracy. Taught him how and watched him pop steel out past 440 yards with one of my bench guns. 5 shots in about a 5" circle? Made a believer out of him real fast! That's a range trip he won't forget for a long time.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Supporting Member

What is the legality of giving a person under 18 a rifle or shotgun.

The reason I ask, a kid next door whom is doing some hunting and

shooting with me doesn't own a gun and I am thinking of giving him one.

Do I need to give it to his mother? Kenny

I admire what your range is doing.

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Supporting Member

Kenny, I believe the law would look at gifting a minor (may be different if he was related - I don't know) the same as selling a gun to a minor.
Since it would be only prudent to get the parents permission before gifting him a gun I would give it to the parent and let the parent decide when the child is mature enough to use or take possession of the firearm.
Just my 2 cents...
Larry
Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 PM

I think every state is different, but here in WA even giving it to the Mother would take an FFL transfer just as it would for the student. I would make sure the Mother approved but I would think that it would be a really great occasion between Kenny and the youngster to have the exchange directly between the two. Great things you all are doing.

Have a great day.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Supporting Member

The Rifles are actually given to the parent. Private transaction between residents of the same state so no need to involve an FFL.

The Boy Scouts that cleaned up the mess at the range will be attending. We were trying to think of something to give them in return for their hard work.

What would be a nice jester to a Boy Scout Troop?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
The Rifles are actually given to the parent. Private transaction between residents of the same state so no need to involve an FFL.

The Boy Scouts that cleaned up the mess at the range will be attending. We were trying to think of something to give them in return for their hard work.

What would be a nice jester to a Boy Scout Troop?

How about ANOTHER day at the range, complete with hamburgers and hot dogs?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 PM

god i wish i lived in your country i am an avid hunter shooter and my nephew now who is six is mad into it , every min hes not at school hes in the great outdoors learning how to track or hunt i would love to buy him a gun to take to the range but id be locked up for it , well done to you all ,safe shooting.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lodge

Stevo, a Lodge Deep 12" Camp Dutch oven. Boy Scout troops can't get enough of them. They last forever, it'll be used on their campouts and passed on to new members.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Stevo, a Lodge Deep 12" Camp Dutch oven. Boy Scout troops can't get enough of them. They last forever, it'll be used on their campouts and passed on to new members.
Awesome idea Chuck. Ordered the Handle and Tote bag also.

Thanks, Steve