Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM

Default Lawton 7500 action

I have a 20BR that is now nearing compeation. I went to look at it yesterday and noticed light machining marks in the outside of the bolt between the front lugs and one of the lugs at the rear has a tiny piece of metal missing.

The manufacture quality appears well under my Borden action, the rifle shot fine, I fired a few rounds and grouped in the mid .3s. But these marks are bugging me, is this normal for a Lawton ?. it was not expecially cheap but not in quite the same price bracket as Borden and BAT.

A
Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Supporting Member

I know very little about the lawton action but do know I'm real happy with my Borden and Bats, But realize they are more expensive Hopefully someone else with a Lawton will speak up. Maybe you should post pics of whats you are referring too.

ML
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Supporting Member

Google lawton actions. The original owner passed away recently.

I was interested in the same action because of the good price but backed away when a internet search found a few unhappy customers. Some said that they had to have a gunsmith square up the face, etc. just like you would with a factory remington.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM

I had a Lawton 7500 action on a 6mmDasher. The action worked flawlessly, and would be one of the easiest openning bolts I have ever cycled.... but those machine marks bugged the hell out of me!

Mine did not have any metal missing, and the machining marks between the lugs looked not so good! The receiver is perfect and the rest of the bolt was ok, but I had to remove some metal from the flutes on the bolt due to them grabbing the skin on my fingers. Not enough to hurt, just a little rough. Some very light sanding and then polishing and they were fixed.

Now, I did like the action very much, the rifle shot great. Its just I decided to go another direction that I sold it.

I now hear that people have brought this very issue up, and now the Lawton's bolts are very very nice.

So, check them out.. ask if the bolt is finished nicely between the lugs and if it is, grab one! I think they are great value!

Cheers
AI
Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks for your comments to date, please feel free to add any more.

My builder is an ex Holland & Holland riflesmith, he is generally happy with the action as such and had not mentioned the bolt machining marks, maybe thats me being overly picky hence the thread.

On a UK thread that I started on the issue there are posts on poorly finished bolts with exactly these problems, current bolts are I am told now fine but I need to go and get some pics and mail them to Lawton. BUT the rifle does shoot !!.

A
Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 AM

I've heard enough bad things about Lawton that I wouldn't mess with one. The gunsmith I use and trust with everything, He's already had to re-square 3 out of 5 actions and sent back 2 due to being to far out of square (lack of quality control). Phoenix Machine however is a new comer and build very good quality actions at a competitive price. Just my 2 cents

-tbeasley
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM

In fairness it does shoot and shoot well, unworked up loads 5 thou off the lands shot by three of us went into one group in the mid .3s at 110 yards.

Once it has been prooved and engraved I wil get hold of it and send some pics to Lawton and see what they say.

A
Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Why would you engrave it before sending the pictures to them? They may offer to replace it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Action is not being engraved, just the builders name on the barrel and perhaps something witty round the end of the barrel. The pillers have been smoked to the action so there is no way the action is going back, paperwork is a huge hassle anyway as I am in England. Bolt maybe if they will swop it over.

A
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 PM

Just picked up on my thread of some years ago.

That Lawton is the most accurate rifle I am ever likely to own, .3 consistantly off a bipod.

Reason for my post is to ask if Lawton are in fact still in business, no problems with my 7500 except finding time to shoot it due to pressure of work. But next week I have having a day of me time, then all my rifles are coming out after a lay off.

A