Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 AM

Default 20-250's First Dog!

Well I finally got my 20-250 back this past week. After not getting many ideas on powders I did a bunch of comparing of powders based on a couple other hot rod coyote guns I have and came up with a load for 4007SSC.

I'm running 37.5 grains of 4007 behind the 50 grain Berger getting 3750fps out of a 23" Douglas 9 twist. (it was previously a 20BR)

Scope is a Leupold 4.5-14x40LR with the varmint hunters reticle. Unfortunately the gun outshoots the subtensions so I have some goofy lines, but I guess that is a good thing! centered at 250 the lines are something like 390, 525 and 670 yards....odd but I rarely shoot past 300 while calling.

A local gunsmith took care of the work for me and once again did a great job. 3 shot groups at 100 yards were just under a half inch consistenly, which is what I want in my calling rifle.

Total weight of the gun is 8.5 pounds with the sling, scope and bi-pod.

Shot this guy, which is number I don't know what for the year but its a lot, after quite the hike on snowshoes. I worked my way down a coolee bottom where there was a pile of tracks. Kept peeking up over stock ponds and finally there she was about 400 yards out mousing. A few squeeks of the call brought her in to about 185 and one Berger in the chest is all it took. BFD.

She's one of the prettiest I've ever shot. A butterscotch blonde coyote. She looked very light coming across a white pasture, which for those of you that have seen that know that means she's pretty one!

Anyhow, looks like the rifle will be a keeper, which is good. The thicker skin later in the year like this was getting iffy at times with the 17Rem and my 220 swift is way to pretty to drag across the snow all the time!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 AM

That sounds like a fantastic calling rifle. Nice looking 'yote too. What is the countour (barrel dia.) on that tube? Is that a Remington 700 action?

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
That sounds like a fantastic calling rifle. Nice looking 'yote too. What is the countour (barrel dia.) on that tube? Is that a Remington 700 action?

Thanks,

Jordan
Yep its a 700 action of an ADL that I picked up for the 20BR project. I didn't want anything too fancy as its beat on pretty hard in pretty extreme conditions so the ADL works just fine.

This is a #4 contour Douglas. My gunsmith had to set it back just about an inch to get the 250 reamer in there, so its a tick lighter in the shank area than a standard #4. High Tech Specialties stock that I bedded and painted. Timney trigger set at 3 pounds.

Worked great last year as a 20BR but I lost chances at a couple doubles based on feeding issues, so I went with the 250. Great calling rifle.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Very nice lookn setup and congrats on your kill. I wish berger still made those 50gr bullets. My 20ppc loves them.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 AM

Nice, what does the other side look like with those 50gr bullets? Larry
Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Nice, what does the other side look like with those 50gr bullets? Larry
The 50s have been the best fur bullet I've shot outside 27 Kindlers and 25 Bergers out of my 17.

Last year I shot upwards of 50 dogs with the 20BR running them at 3650. Only messed up one due to a bad shot on my part. Had a few exit but nickle sized holes at biggest. Couple stitches and you're done.

This one hit her in the chest and that was that. No exit. BFD.

I have about 185 of them left which should last me a solid two seasons, but I REALLY wish they still made the 50. Might have to see if Unmussig can build a 50 grainer.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Supporting Member

Don does make 50's I have about 500 of them haven't tried them on any coyotes yet, do you have any of the Berger 55's I haven't had them exit a coyote yet I haven't shot that many yet with them but they have all been DRT with no exit
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers

Good job XS... that sure is a pretty light colored dog... way to go.

I can't wait to get my 20-250 going... hopefully it will make dogs as dead as yours.... which I'm sure it will the 55's I plan on shooting.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich44 View Post
Don does make 50's I have about 500 of them haven't tried them on any coyotes yet, do you have any of the Berger 55's I haven't had them exit a coyote yet I haven't shot that many yet with them but they have all been DRT with no exit
Rich-I shot the 55s for a bit when this gun was a 20BR but they didn't quite shoot as good as the 50s, I think I was pushing them too hard. I do know a few guys that have used them on coyotes and haven't complained of too much fur damage. Most stay inside with the occasional exit on broadside shots it sounds like. GREAT long range setup for coyotes if thats your thing, otherwise I'd choose to go lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brothers View Post
Good job XS... that sure is a pretty light colored dog... way to go.

I can't wait to get my 20-250 going... hopefully it will make dogs as dead as yours.... which I'm sure it will the 55's I plan on shooting.
I think these fast 20s might be the ultimate in a coyote calling rifle when the shooter is concerned about fur. Very flat, very dead and barely any recoil. Whats not to like!

Yeah the color on this one was very unique. SHould bring in a few bucks!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM

X. i see you use Ojibwa style shoes. i've got a pair also. nice for walking in grass/light brush.

nice coyote but....... it will most likely NOT bring much $$. i've shot a few like it and have been dissapointed in what they bring.