Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Supporting Member

Are there after market stocks available for this action? Or can a stock inletted for a sa Savage be modified to work?

Jay T.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM

If you are asking: "are there after market 'pre-inletted, drop in' stocks available" ?, I have not yet found one. I have not even seen anyone (including Savage) selling the various Savage factory stocks that fit it. All those out there for the so called "110 series" actions (smaller diameter) will not work. Obviously, if you are up for inletting and pillar bedding or machining your own bedding block arrangement, you can use anything out there from any manufacturer that will accept the 1.350" diameter action. On that subject, take note that none of the "pre-chambered/pre-fitted" barrels out there (so far, anyway) will work with the larger barrel thread size of this action, they will simply "slip right in" and not even touch the threads, let alone screw in. I know....I tried, and now I have to start from scratch with a barrel blank. And, if you are going to use the Savage barrel nut, you have to have a barrel diameter of 1.110" - 1.115" to start with. Or, you can forgo the barrel nut and start with a larger diameter blank and fit it as you would a Remington (or others) and screw the shoulder of the barrel against the recoil lug. If anyone else has found a source for aftemarket (including Savage's own) pre-fitted barrels or pre-inletted stocks, please speak up. My information may well be out of date, or I have be looking in the wrong places ! Also, on the subject of switching bolt heads, remember that the extractor and ejector pins locations within the bolt head are "port specific".
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Savage Pre-fit barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
On that subject, take note that none of the "pre-chambered/pre-fitted" barrels out there (so far, anyway) will work with the larger barrel thread size of this action, they will simply "slip right in" and not even touch the threads, let alone screw in. I know....I tried, and now I have to start from scratch with a barrel blank. And, if you are going to use the Savage barrel nut, you have to have a barrel diameter of 1.110" - 1.115" to start with. Or, you can forgo the barrel nut and start with a larger diameter blank and fit it as you would a Remington (or others) and screw the shoulder of the barrel against the recoil lug. If anyone else has found a source for aftemarket (including Savage's own) pre-fitted barrels or pre-inletted stocks, please speak up. My information may well be out of date, or I have be looking in the wrong places ! Also, on the subject of switching bolt heads, remember that the extractor and ejector pins locations within the bolt head are "port specific".
I am not sure which model you refer to in the above statement. If it is the Long Range Precision Varminter, there are several pre-fit barrel options. I purchased two from Shilen last year (1 in 17PPC and 1 in 20PPC). I believe that PacNor also offers pre-fit barrels for this action. You just have to be certain that you specify the barrels for the LRPV action.

If I have the wrong model in mind, then disregard the above information!!

Good luck,
Gary
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

crooked,

Most of the savage drop in barrel manufacturers do one for the large shank actions. The large shank actions (target and some 'normal' series) are used for the target actions as well as the WSM's and RUM's. Northland shooting supply stocks a bunch of them in various chambers from both McGowan and shilen. He also stocks various factory barrels as well.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...?topic=14194.0

I'm pretty sure a bunch of other manufacturers also do the large shank barrels, you jsut have to specify. Midway and others don't normally stock them.

The standard barrel nut is too small, but if you start with a new factory action or factory rifle with a large shank it will come with a large shank nut.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks Gary and Casts By Fly for the info and pointing in the right direction. My action is new, with the proper barrel nut (the only thing Savage does not package with the sale of the "complete" action is the three action screw, go figure). I visited the link provided by Casts and found a lot of good conversation has been had over the past couple of years. There seems to be a common thread that raises a question, and that is one of availability. The lists seem pretty comprehensive, as far as options and offerings, but a very high percentage of "SOLD OUT" notations on the list. What has been the typical lead time from "want and order" to actual delivery ? If it is lengthy, it may be a better solution to just start with a blank, rent (or buy) a reamer and do it yourself if you have access to a lathe. It does not appear that there is a big savings buying a [quality] pre-fit, but rather a big convenience if you don't have access to machinery. As far as switch barrel capability, turning the barrel with a shoulder and tightening against the recoil lug and simply returning to a witness mark seems as easy as using the barrel nut and establishing headspace with gages or "fitted cases". And, you can do the switching at the range with a barrel vise and action wrench without removing the scope or barreled action from the stock. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked the Savage barrel nut arrangement (and I have two of the barrel nut wrenches), but it seems the biggest advantage is from a manufacturer's (Savage) production time perspective and then to those in the aftermarket that [again] do not have access to the proper machinery. I'm scratching my head over this, so please tell me what I'm missing here.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Default Savage Pre-fit barrels

I purchased two Shilen barrels through this wholesaler:
http://www.thebarrelman.com/

The savings are significant but you still have to wait on Shilen. I don't know what Shilen's current production time is but a call could tell you. When I ordered through the BarrelMan, I sent him the order and paid him. The barrels were shipped directly from Shilen. The lead time when I ordered was 8 - 12 weeks. One arrived early and one arrived late.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default Savage actions

A wealth of information can be obtained from the Stockade stocks website on Savage projects .
Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay T. View Post
Are there after market stocks available for this action? Or can a stock inletted for a sa Savage be modified to work?

Jay T.
I'm using one to build a comp rifle for 1000yd br and 500m fly and Mr Shehane inlets for them. I'm going to have a nice refined understated PATRIOT patterned ST1000!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:46 AM

Default Savage Target Action

My Savage Target action in 6X47 Lapua has a PacNor pre-fit barrel and Sharpshooter Supply benchrest style stock. The stock came pillar bedded and required very minor sanding before finishing. Inletting was very clean and required no fitting. In fact I could have finished the stock without any sanding, but old habits are hard to break. It is away being fitted with a Kreiger 8 twist barrel in 22X47 Lapua. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. (The Kreiger was NOT a pre-fit.) Vic
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Supporting Member

Default barrel contour

What barrel contour does the Sharpshooter stocks come in ? I'd like to use a heavy varmint contour .

I see the Bell and Carlson Medalist tactical come in the 4 3/8" spacing but can you use two hole and plug the middle one ? Is there enough strength to hold the action securely ? It has a blind magazine . Thanks