Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 AM

Very nice pictures.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Don't get between 'em now!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 PM

The big one was a long way from the little ones. Not related, I don't think. But mama was very close by.

Couple more of the kids.

- DAA
Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 PM

I've heard that two cubs of different color phases like that can be from two different dads. The big cinnamon above wasn't anywhere near these cubs. But these two knuckleheads were in the same neighborhood.

And a better picture of this cinnamon.

Speaking of getting between them though, these are the ones I would really not want to get in between!

- DAA
Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Default Cute when they're little

Grizzly are nothing to play around with, for sure.. All of the bears can be deadly in the right or wrong place. Bill K
Old 06-28-2014, 02:10 PM

This is what I learned of bears and bear attacks, from Gary Shelton who instructs Bear Awareness courses in Canada.

Black bear attacks, no matter the actual reason, usually result in the bear changing to a predatory attack with the human becomes a food item. The easier it is for the bear to knock you down and brutalize you, the more likely it will decide to make you breakfast, lunch or supper. Thus, black bear attacks are more often fatal for the person attacked, then with grizzlies, which usually don't convert to a predatory attack. With either bear, you've got to fight - play dead and dead you will end up.

The grizzly, in this situation (protection of family), will be more likely to carry through an attack to contact, than a black bear - but will usually leave after 'teaching' you a lesson. The end result of that lesson might require over 400 stitches to close your wounds, but rarely does it result in the death of the person who 'upset' her up to carry out an attack.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

DAA

Those are some great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Daryl

You are spot on. Blacks that fully attack, instead of short charges, very often kill the target. (Not quite as prevalent in attacks resulting from sows protecting their cubs, but any attack by a Boar is not likely to work out well). As to the whole play dead thing: I don't know how the play dead thing ever came about because most who have ever tried it didn't survive. Makes me wonder how the idea ever got started or spread.

Bears need to fear humans, and the ones that turn tail and burn out of there at our sight are properly habituated to humans. Ones that hang out because they have cubs up a tree is fair game too, as long as they aren't in close proximity to the house, cabin etc. We have very high bear concentrations here and pretty limited hunting pressure. In a lot of areas up here one really has to pay attention when you come across a bear. You may well be the first human it has ever seen and you are a bunch smaller than stuff it is used to killing for food. A warning shot to "teach" the bear is well warranted if it doesn't skedaddle at the sight of you. Any bear that showed me any aggression at all is unlikely to walk away because the next person may not be set up to do anything about it, and no I really don't care what the Bear thought his rights to the road, his food, fish in the stream or anything else were.

P.S. A number of you who have read my posts before are probably well aware that bears are not among my favourite critters. I don't dislike them nor do I want to see them gone, I just don't think they get to have more rights than the humans and I think Disney, the tree huggers and T.V. have created a very dangerous misunderstanding of bears and their behaviour. Sort of like the nonsense that wolves never attack humans.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.