Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Early days Saubier story (long read)

Before ever becoming addicted to small calibers I had purchased a Scheels Varmiter Cooper 22-250 (S/N10).

After my first internet transaction with Fred at Bullberry (on building my invention, a 17 Hornet) going so smoothly. Then after buying my first 2 preowned Saubier internet guns (a 700 in/17 Rem Classic and a Cooper 17 AH)) from a real nice feller in Oklahoma who went by “Hunter” and both times was extremely awesome transactions…

I finally decided to make my first trade ever trade. It was here on this site where I traded Brooks my pride and joy the 22-250 with scope and rings plus cash for a Cooper Custom classic 17 CCM/17CCM & 22 CCM brass dies.

To be perfectly honest it was a very hard discouraging and heart breaking… Brooks wanted this gun like right now and I drove 70 miles one way at his request to get it mailed off at Fed Ex so he could have it yet that week. But this Fed ex wouldn’t shop a box that long. Si the next day I drive 25 miles one way to UPS and shipped it out so he could still get it that week thinking he was paying the extra charges since he had to have it (like 75 bucks for two boxes a scope and gun). My first lessen; ask lots questions before committing to a deal.
Then when I finally get the CCMs the bolt fell out of the gun and onto the hard concrete floor. The bolt had looked rough and later found out why…

I let Brooks know that I was unhappy with the way things went and he was great about it and generous enough to trade back but I had to eat the first time shipping and the second time shipping the CCM back… I decided that I didn’t want to lose out on approximately 100 buck in shipping charges so I would suck it up and live with my deal no matter what the outcome was and no hard feeling with Brooks, it was just one of those things..

Rob Behr at Cooper took extremely good care of me. Completely reworked the bolt and sent parts for the bolt release and so on… A big learning curve with expanding those primer pockets on hard to find brass then there was the all the necks that were splitting from the loaded ammo he had sent…

The painful beginning was very slowly turning around and eventually I had purchased some Schroder brass that was working much better, took the x-17-CCM barrel and made a short 17-CCM to use the brass that had split necks and eventually I made out with a bunch of Hornady 17 gr V-max bullets for the 17-CCM and it was/is one of my most prized guns and eventually forgot about my Cooper 22-250… BTW that 22-250 was up for sale after a short time after we made the deal and I told my best fishing and hunting buddy about it cause I was dead broke and he bought it… unfortunately he had health issues and I believe he is very lucky to be living today even though he has had his share of painful hospitalizations… I don’t think he had shot it a lot….

Well one day I sent him a text and asked if he’d ever consider selling the 22-250 to my son Taylor and replied back that he was going to keep it for his grandson to which I couldn’t have been any happier to hear!

Then at Easter Mass last week I went over to talk to him afterwards and he asked where I was parked, said he had something for me… we get to the car and there was a Nikon box and a Cooper box… Vince said I got to thinking and this gun should to Taylor, he has a 243 that his son shot his first deer with and that would make a better gun for the grandson…

There were 8 loaded rounds left, a mix of moly and non moly and different OALs that I had reloaded for this gun….

Today Taylor mounts the scope while I set up a target at 100 yards. The first was a tad bit high and left of the bull. The next two about went through the same hole (lower). He shot all eight rounds and his grins were priceless!!! He was shocked no sight in adjustment and that close to the bull… I wasn’t, that’s exactly what it did for me the day I installed that scope brand new… Conat wait to see his smile once we load up some ammo for it!

Vince is also Taylor’s Godfather… I’m not sure who is the happiest but I know all three of us are going to bed tonight with some good feelings!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:44 AM

Default What goes around comes around

Sh--. I won't be able to read anything else on the web tonight , because of the tears in my eyes. What a wonderful story. thank you all for being wonderful human beings. John Kruzan
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 AM

Awesome story! I just had my first child and was blessed with a big healthy boy. Although he is only 4.5 months old I am planning our first gopher hunt and all the details. LOL.

A couple of different times I have found myself looking in the gun safe and wondering which rifle will be his favourite.

Thank you for the cool story!

Joe
Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Gary, brings back a lotta fond memories of the early days here and also a really neat family/friendship story . As I've said many times GW, You're one a the good ones , You and your family are all blessed to have each other!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Thank you Sir

Gary, I don't check in here as often as I should. I'm thankful for all you have done in word and deed. Enjoy our conversations over the years. Sir, I pray blessings over you and yours, that you burn powder often and enjoy the kids. They have grown up quickly it seems. Shoot a few critters for me. FB
Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 PM

TKs Gary - excellent - well done!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Very nice story, Mr. Wenzl.
Would have been even nicer if you'd left the word 'Brooks' out.
Jmo; Ken.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks, it even has me interesting in the 22-250 again!

MWD800, The kids grew up with some neat stuff thanks to this site and they did grow up fast! Spend as much time with them as you can!! (Don't natter if it's reafing a book, playing in the dirt or on a swing) You will never regret it. Doug nailed it, I have been greatly blessed with a wonderful family! And friends!

Frank, thanks for the blessings! Got a text today, this weekend both Taylor and Jon and some friends (girl friends) are coming over to shoot blue rock and a few other things. Been a while, not much time but enjoy our time together! We will burn some powder in your honor!

A few more pictures here;

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/glwe...zhx8a.jpg.html

Last edited by GLWenzl; 04-14-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 PM

Default Do you sleep with that rifle?

Gary, looks like you took the pictures of that rifle on your bed. Do you sleep with it? Thanks for the great story. I wish I had some family to share my rifles with. You are very blessed.
Dave
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

well Dave, I had to make a decision... the gun ir my wife... Seriously though if I would have had more faith I'd had more kids!

Kenbro, sorry if you took offense about me using names in my story, no disrespect was intended, it was just one of those things. Moral of the story for me was by going through my struggles in life (almost always brought on by myself) I have always grew and things have worked out for the greater. A great feeling knowing it ended up going to a good home