Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 AM

Default Mind blowing...

Says my 8 year old girl while she makes another head shot. She seems to think it all about head shots. Must be all the zombie craze/advertising that has been played over and over again the last couple of years on tv etc. She's shooting a left hand CZ 452 in 22lr I purhased off a member here. Thanks! She is also shooting her brothers CZ 452 in 17Mach 2. That makes shooting out to 100 yds easy for her. This is her first gopher shoot and she is really loving it. We went out to look for the dead gophers at her brothers suggestion and I waited to see her reaction. I mentioned that there was some gross scenes out there with gopher guts all over the place however she looked at them and told me it was cool that you see all their guts!

The boy who has shot a few gophers over the years is like an old pro now. He is self sufficient with rimfires and needs not much help. He walks around shooting gophers off hand, on a fence post or on the bags. He slaughters everything he sees and at 13 has been shooting since he was 4 so he wears the title of dead eye dick with honor as his grandfather gave him it a few years back at a gopher shoot. He also shoots a Browning micro hornet and this trip has been shooting out to 250yds with a Rem 700 in 17 Fireball.

The day started out slow as we went down a two track through some native prairie land trying to find some gophers. We have shot a few out of this area a couple years back but there wasn't many here today. We go a late start which didn't help and it took us a whole to get the girl onto her first gopher. The kids took turns after we found a gopher or two but they start attacking each other as the action was too slow. We turn around and took some advice of the ranch to go a couple miles west and we found the hay field that he was talking about and found plenty of targets. Not an over abundance but we probably finished the day shooting about another 70 from this spot. I think we will try this spot again in the morning and finish off the ones we didn't get. There's probably another 100 targets out there for us. No babies are out at this time yet. Seems a little late.

I will post some more info over the next couple days.

Head Shots

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 05-25-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That's great getting the kids started while real young.
Especially the girl. Bet she gets a crowd gathered at school
telling about it.
Then to have her own rifle already takes the cake n frosting too.
Good deal, pat yourself on the back!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Mind Blowing

Thank you for sharing those moments, some of many, with family. The only way to bring them up. Bill K
Old 05-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
Says my 8 year old girl while she makes another head shot. She seems to think it all about head shots. Must be all the zombie craze/advertising that has been played over and over again the last couple of years on tv etc. She's shooting a left hand CZ 452 in 22lr I purhased off a member here. Thanks! She is also shooting her brothers CZ 452 in 17Mach 2. That makes shooting out to 100 yds easy for her. This is her first gopher shoot and she is really loving it. We went out to look for the dead gophers at her brothers suggestion and I waited to see her reaction. I mentioned that there was some gross scenes out there with gopher guts all over the place however she looked at them and told me it was cool that you see all their guts!

Your daughter is quite the marksman. Her mental toughness is amazing as well! Looking forward to more photos.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:47 PM

Excellent!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:43 AM

Default Ahhhh,

family time, don't ya just love it. Good pair of kids you have there. You sound like a pretty good dad as well.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 AM

So todays first shot was celebrated with what? A head shot of course!. I can't tell if she is doing it on purpose or it's a fluke but probably 95% of her shots are head with the rest being neck or high chest. She was pleased with herself and called me right over to take a picture for her and wanted me to send it to mom.

The boy was busy shooting a variety of rifles. First with his 22hornet and his new matching shirt. However he moved onto the 17 hornet later on in the day and was making consistent shots out to 250 yds with it. At the end of the day I heard him claiming the rifle as his. Guess I better buy another one for myself.

A funny "Larry the cable guy moment"

We are relaxing this evening in the trailer. Told the wife the kids were going to miss another day of school. She never said no so I guess it's ok. Going to go visit 20 Extreme and see if we can spend a few hours making some more head shots in his neck of the woods.

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 06-02-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Awesome job guys! Can't wait to hear more.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Supporting Member

Looks like you all had a great time. Surprising how tall the grass is down there already. It is just starting to green up around Edmonton. Enjoy the trip.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Well the last day is upon us and the long trip back home awaits the sleeping young kids. We met up with 20 Extreme yesterday and got out shooting some prairie poodles in the afternoon after chatting about reloading for a while. Would have liked to chat more about that but the two young ones were getting on each other's nerves so we had to get out and help them with some sound therapy. I am talking about the sound of the meat report when that little bullet connects with a gopher!

We still didn't find too many gophers and the ones we did find were shy. Babies are about to come out and I wish we could stay but the kids have school and they missed two days as it is. I am sure they learned lots while they were out here as I did about them.

The little girl is competitive. More so than I realized. I bet her brother that he couldn't get two gophers in one shot but he put the time in walking around with the CZ 452 in 22lr and managed to get one. More money out of my pocket! She assumed that bet as well and was proud to show off the two she got in one shot as well. Her head shots disappeared as she was trying hard to get two with one shot. As well, she can switch back and forth from being the pretty ballarina to the gopher slayer with a clap of the hands it seems.

The boy impressed me with his ability to shoot off hand while walking and his ability to make some longer shots. He was making some out to 200-250 yds with ease with the 17 hornet and fireball. We have had a good go at shooting and hunting this year with some good coyote hunts under our belt too. On to big game and some 3 gun competition soon I am sure.

However it's time to wake them up. I have a the dishes done and it's a 10 hour trip home with the camper. I get to be back next weekend but unfortunately I cannot bring them back with me. Good times and memories and it's been a long time coming by this is where I wanted to be a while back when the first one was born.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 11-27-2014 at 07:40 PM.