Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM

When all is said and done, the .20 Practical or even the .17 Practical (if you want a wildcat) are likely the best or at least easiest choices.

.204 dies can be used for neck sizing & seating, or even .17Rem die for the .17cal. version.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Default I Have Decided!!

OK, I have decided on the way to go.

Some years back someone (montdoug??) on this site posted a Gre-Tan 20 Tactical fluted barrel & dies for sale, I bought them.

So... I am a little doubtful about the Var-tag as the brass is not easy $$ to get and they seem to be hard to make feed correctly. The 22 Nosler may be hard to find a smith with a reamer and I don't want to buy one. The 20 Tactical barrel, I bought, is just sitting there waiting to be used so that is what I will go with.

Now, the barrel is threaded and chambered for a Rem short action but the minor diameter of the rem threads is larger than the major diameter of the mini mauser action so, no problem there. However, I will need to find a smith who can do the work and has a 20 Tactical reamer OR buy or borrow a reamer for the job. Any Ideas on the reamer part? Or the smith part?

I will keep you all informed on the progress of this build, and thanks for all your help.

Marcos (elalto)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default Adam

Try Adam Bentley, he's built some 20tacs and nothing you've described is outside of his skill set, plus he's a member.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM

I have a 20 TAC built on the mini mauser with a PacNor barrel. No one will get that gun until I die. So accurate, easy to load using Hornady dies. So nice and light but still so easy to shoot. Bob Green built that one. Adam built another on 700 action with a Shilen barrel.