Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Mike:
That's the way I was thinking after foxhunter sent me a dummy load
from his VR. "man, that's just the one I want!!"

At the time there was NO WAY, he'd sell this Cooper! I did tell him I wanted first dibs if n when, and he did. I happened to have the funding and sent a check right away. Then I couldn't wait to get it and drove 1200 miles to his place to pick it up. Glad I did, fine folks, plus I drove right by Powder Valley and left with a trunk full of powder and primers. That have almost tripled in value since.

Since I had a NEF HMR and a M2 both. I contacted Mark D and got his reamer for the job. Used a .223 action and HMR barrel. What a night mare project that was! Mostly because I had no clues on what to do and couldn't do them myself.

Trotter did much of the tinkering work, Paul Rogers recut the neck as it was too tight. Other than that, it's been a dream rifle. Same one I blew up trying to find "max" in. Got that fixed, no real damage.

IF you decide to use a NEF, let me know on e'm and lets get you the details FIRST. It'll save a bunch of hassles. It's a real nice shooter and good handling too.

I haven't been on there in a long time, but, there's a NEF site and the guys sell and swap, or sell actions, parts and barrels all the time. Just get a .17 barrel, reamer, and center fire action and you're in business. The reamer will be the problem i think. I ended up with just about $300 in it when it was done.

Just over a year after it was sorted out, Bob let me know he was ready to sell the Cooper, so I've got two of 'em and don't shoot either much due to my other problems. A real shame with all the guns n ammo i have.

I'm not married and live in my own home. Getting tired of walking 75 feet to the shop and shooting into the trap for these little things. I got a foot long 8" sq block from a buddy at the hwy dept. Set it in the corner of the loading room and let fly. The 20gr v'max only penetrates about 3-4". Shucks, I even put a prairie dog target on it! The only complaint I've had was from my little dog, she gets excited when I get a gun out! She don't like 'em.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 11-09-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Supporting Member

I "WAS" having issues with shell holders. Sent a note to Mic McPherson about getting a couple. Took about a week for him to get back to me. He IS a busy man. (he said he has maybe 200)
Got a couple of each coming. Lee Auto Prime and standard press shell holders.
Patience IS a virtue.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 AM

Good for you.
All my patients have died long ago!

Damn, another shooting and up in your area this time.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

George:
If it wasn't for the Media, we wouldn't know that world is full of worthless POS people. He got his in the end. Just too bad it didn't happen a few days earlier.
Havn't read anything about it just that he needed to be dead much sooner.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 AM

Mike:
That one was a real nutcase!
Nehama I think was where.
Killed 5 before the cops got him.

These are all the more reason to Carry!!
I've put my 12 pak of spares back in my
pocket

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 PM
Supporting Member

Got my full length die in 17 VHA back from Redding. No Charge for them to remove the stuck case. I had fully expected to pay for them to fix the problem but their Customer Service came thru again. They even replaced the decapping rod assembly. Even enclosed (at no additional charge) a small tin of Imperial Sizing Wax (that must have been a hint) along with instructions on how to size your brass.

I did see one thing in the instructions that I had NEVER considered.??
First off, I prefer "polished" brass. They usually come out of the tumbler BEFORE they get resized. If they're "clean", they may go straight to the resize operation.
Most of my brass never hits the ground. All my rigs are single shot or set up with single shot followers and the ejector rods are removed so I have to pick the brass off the bolt head and don't end up chasing brass.

The resizing instructions mentions something about "The film of tarnish or oxidation on the surface of the brass in effect acts as a lube. Without the oxide, the case tends to stick". ??? And they mentioned, "Brightly polished brass cases will lend them selves to stuck cases and brass transfer to the dies and do not polish your cases BEFORE resizing". I'll have to change my ways. You CAN teach an Old Dog new tricks!
That doesn't mean I'll be throwing my "Polished" brass in the dirt or I'll be turning into Pig-Pen anytime soon but I'll be a little more aware when it comes to the proper amount of lube and how clean my brass is.
I have learned a bunch today, just when I thought I already knew everything.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 AM

Default Thanks

Stuck cases are a pain. That is a great bit of advise, another reason I do not waste time polishing brass.

AL Harrell taught me the same thing involving bolt thrust, friction and brass life. Not to say that cleaning brass in a tumber is a bad idea, but actually polishing a case until it is absolutely mirror smooth in my book is a no no. Having a clean and dry chamber wall and not lubricating the case helps as well when fireforming in my experience. If I had something as cool as a tumbler or shaker, I would use it.

http://www.varmintal.com/a243z.htm

Last edited by 17tbs; 11-18-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:25 AM

That's news to me. Never had a problem with polished brass.
All mine go thru the shaker before anything else is done to them.
i reload sometimes in several thousand rounds in a batch.
Haven't stuck a case in at least 40 years of any kind.

sure not going to change my bad habits now.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Supporting Member

I "have" stuck a few cases over the years but it's usually when I'am on a roll. I'll start to do a batch and after three or four cases, figure there's enough lube to do just one more before I need to lube again. THAT'S when I get into trouble. Most of the time I can feel the case getting snug and will back off before I get it stuck. Larger cases are pretty easy to drill, tap and remove from the die but the smaller they get, the more apt you are to cause damage. I figured if something went wrong, Redding could handle it.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Default 4.6x30mm ?

I, like many, have stuck a case over the years reloading, As far as I can remember, if it really does matter, they were more than likely no polished brass, like after a couple reloads. And it was probably my fault for not lubing them properly.
With that said, it is interesting, their comment re: polishing brass. I run all my brass, on occasion, when I feel they need it, through my vibrating tumbler, as I believe somewhat clean brass is just good.
However I don't go for the high polish, some do, that might make some difference.. Just my thought. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 11-18-2017 at 03:29 PM.