Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 ccm

Not mine but I have one like it. And there’s even loaded 22CCM ammo available
On gunbroker

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/756191786
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 AM

I had an early Cooper M-38 .22 CCM rifle. Nice gun, but the round was a real disappointment. I shot targets at 100 yards and dug up the bullets. None were deformed, no expansion whatsoever, and you could almost clean them up and re-use them. I can only imagine what kind of velocities could be had out of a 10" pistol barrel.

Nice collector barrel, maybe, but that's it, IMO.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

that’s a very interesting experience, mine was/is a little different.

While I haven’t shot the Cooper very much I have the contender and it was not disappointing. I thought it was right there very close to the 5mm mag and 22 mag (I have in the same barrel configuration).

I have to say though that I haven’t done mealy as much shooting with it as I have my 17 CCM.

All my loads are mostly with the 30 grain vmax but prior to those being released it was the 35 grain vmax

If I ever find a contender in a 21” CCM I’d snatch it up in a heart beat but then I enjoy most anything that goes bang and nails the intended target lol
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post

All my loads are mostly with the 30 grain vmax ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where do you get 30 grain V-Max's? I've never seen them listed anywhere.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago after Hornady came out with the 30 grain vmax for the 22 mag, I happened to be in GI area and like I always do stopped in to check the reject inventory.

As usually they didn’t have much of anything I was interested in (mostly 17 & 20 caliber) but as I slid open a drawer, my eyes lit up when they came in contact with a bunch of little red boxes with reject labels printed 30 gr vmax.

At first I thought it was a misprint and was going to snatch up every box thinking they was the 35s (at the time I only had one 22 mag and didn’t keep up on the rf ammo much).

But when I asked the nice lady behind the desk she said no that lable is correct and reminded me they are made for the 22 mag. Hmm... I said what the heck, is there a limit? And so I cleaned them out that day. The velocity gain was ok but iirc it was a better match with the powder I was experimenting with giving me more rounded primers.

Then it seemed like the 22 caliber 30 grain bullets started showing up everywhere and it wasn’t no big deal. I forget but will check to see if I have any boxes left yet but here is one listing.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...base-250-count

Also, I’m very sorry because of my poor memory but someone here had some 22 caliber 33 grain bullets and then I picked up a few more after that. I still have a nice stash of those and for the life of me I don’t remember who made them? Same thing with the 27 gr bullets but those I might be getting confused with the 20 caliber? I’ll have to check tonight. Hard to keep it all straight in my memory.

I also had big plans to get a 30 grain mold and put some of these melted down lead tire weights to good use but since Rem’s passing I need to buy a pot to melt them back down again plus the mold and just never got fired up about it again.

There’s definitely plenty of fun things to okay with in this business. We are living in good times compared to where it was in the 1970s
Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Well now ya got me loading up the 22 Jet with some 30s not sure why I didn’t think of that before! And I’ve got the 22 CCM contender barrel out... my wife isn’t going to like me playing with all this stuff

Midway Usa also sold the 22 caliber 30 grain VMAX, the product number was 322565 or113008 or 2222AB (100)? Whatever it was I stocked up on a bunch of them. Oddly enough they are .224??? I thought the mag was .223?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where do you get 30 grain V-Max's? I've never seen them listed anywhere.
here’s a little more from here, dang this site is full of info

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6291

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=22ccm

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20455

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...t=20455&page=4

Last edited by GLWenzl; 03-16-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post

Also, I’m very sorry because of my poor memory but someone here had some 22 caliber 33 grain bullets and then I picked up a few more after that.
Back in the 90's there was a place (now out of business) that listed (bulk/blem?) the 33 gr. Vmax's made for the .22 MAG and I bought a few K. They came with a green tip so I assume they were for some Remington .22 MAG ammo? They are shaped much like the 35 gr. VMax's but are 33 gr. I use (still have some) them specifically for my mag fed Anschutz's (two rifles and an Exemplar) so I can shoot from the mag. Found a decent load for them but as most find they are limited in range due to their stubby shape.