Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
I think you have them all except the scads of ARs available from “factorys” and actual factory’s.
Dang. I was hoping that I missed some.

If I was starting my collection now, I agree with the advice above that suggests starting with an action and adding a barrel, trigger, etc. That way is probably going to result in a better rifle than buying factory, but there's always that hassle (and expense) factor. For someone just starting out in this hobby, it's nice to have some decent off the shelf options.

Heck, I still need to find a good gunsmith in the Twin Cities MN area! It's hard to give a gun to some gunsmith you've never used and have zero intel on. I've done that before and wound up with subpar muzzle threading. Perhaps I need to start a thread on good Twin Cities area 'smiths.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:16 PM

I have sensed the frustration you are feeling from others I have tried to help with this same exact situation. We are absolutely slaughtering chucks by the bushel with the 17 HH since ~ 2016 and my buddy and I are pretty well known for being unusually successful at chuck shooting in the hunting community and willing to give advice.

The 17 HH gives us access to small ranchettes and vineyards that the 22 LR is the worst possible option on due to ricochets and high intensity center fires, although much safer, give the impression of great danger on. I suppose the 17 HMR also qualifies, but we don’t use it.

I always give my opinion as exactly that regarding the TC options being what I would go with for under a thousand dollars now that the CZ is not an option. I don’t care for the short barrel being all that is available in the Ruger 77/17 and the Savages for the reasons I have stated.

What is particularly sad is that I had been communicating with people who were having a hard time making up their mind who waited too long and now feel that all they are going to have to settle for second best in their price range. I’ve said time and time again that I could be perfectly happy with a TC Contender carbine if I didn’t have my CZ, but they are not me. I don’t say that to make them feel better, I say it because it is what is. That being said, what my feelings are don’t translate to how they should feel.

I have a 204 R and to me it is…meh. But I sure wish others had more to choose from in that caliber as well. Not that there is anything wrong with the 204, but it is easier to us spot for someone shooting a 22-250 or 243 at the distances I would shoot the 204 at.

To me the 17 Rem is all it’s cracked up to be. It’s a shame that others have nothing factory new available except TC barrels to choose from.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-03-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:26 PM

Good gunsmiths have always been in short supply. It’s gotten to where they are as scarce as an honest politician. Retired, or can’t see or arthritis has taken its toll. There are not many left around here that I would trust to operate a toilet plunger, even allowing them to work on a pogo stick is out of the question.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-03-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Cooper stills offers some of their rifles in .204 Ruger. Deadshot barrels is also offering an AR15 barrel for the .17 Fireball.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Cooper stills offers some of their rifles in .204 Ruger. Deadshot barrels is also offering an AR15 barrel for the .17 Fireball.
Hey thanks! Added them to the list.

BTW, I enjoy your reviews and videos on your site!
Old 07-04-2022, 02:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Hey thanks! Added them to the list.

BTW, I enjoy your reviews and videos on your site!
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Heck, I still need to find a good gunsmith in the Twin Cities MN area! It's hard to give a gun to some gunsmith you've never used and have zero intel on. I've done that before and wound up with subpar muzzle threading. Perhaps I need to start a thread on good Twin Cities area 'smiths.
When I was shooting 1000 yd. matches I decided the best place to go looking for a gunsmith was at the local benchrest matches. I started talking to people at the top of the leader board and used that information to identify a gunsmith for my new prone rifle. I wasn't disappointed and won 3 State Long Range Championships with that rifle before the barrel was spent.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
When I was shooting 1000 yd. matches I decided the best place to go looking for a gunsmith was at the local benchrest matches. I started talking to people at the top of the leader board and used that information to identify a gunsmith for my new prone rifle. I wasn't disappointed and won 3 State Long Range Championships with that rifle before the barrel was spent.
Hey, that is a good idea! I will try this.