Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyYates View Post
A couple "roll eyes" questions: Never a Ruger fan, I've come across a Swift in what - I believe - is a "Target Grey" model. Is this the same basic model as what's being discussed here? I recently got burned when I deviated from my Cooper/C-Z/Rem 700 routine, so am being cautious.
Also, why would a Mauser have longer trigger lock time than other actions?
All actions have slightly different lock times based on the design, length of action, distance striker travels, spring compression, etc. Mausers have a notoriously long lock time compared to some more modern designs. One older design, the 788 Rem, actually had a fast lock time & solid lock up that attracted some in the Benchrest world at one time. Don't know how the Ruger lock time compares to what you have been shooting, but getting past their lawyer designed triggers could be your first hurdle. Going from a Cooper to a Ruger is quite a step down IMHO, but then so is the price.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have seen some of those early ones, but not often. Having one might be a curiosity, but with that said, would the early ones be ones to look for, or to stay away from? I am thinking mostly about the early trigger, but I guess there could be other things.

Danny
I really don't think there is any difference, just blued action. This is not the old tang safety version, but those are out there too. The single stage trigger wasn't bad from the factory but a little polishing has it at about a crisp 2 lbs.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Default Ruger VT

I had several of the earlier ones with blue receiver.
Poor trigger and had some other issues.
Those were not in same league as the Rem 700, so I have not bought another.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I had several of the earlier ones with blue receiver.
Poor trigger and had some other issues.
Those were not in same league as the Rem 700, so I have not bought another.
Mine have been the later version. No troubles yet. I like the stock design better than any of the synthetic varmint stocks offered by Remington. I like my Remingtons too, which I have more of.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:40 AM

I have one in .204. It's easily reached out and touched varmints at over 200 yards.
I actually really like the 2 stage trigger and adjusted it to my liking.
With 39 gr. Blitz Kings it's deadly accurate.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 PM

Reviving my old thread here.

A lot of people slam Ruger rifles, but what I wonder, if that is the case, why are the 77 VTs not really plentiful. I bought a .223 some years back and might some day like to add a .220 Swift, .22-250 or .25-06.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:36 AM

I've owned several of the VT or Target Gray versions and they have been the most consistently well performing models of anything with the Ruger name on it I have ever messed with.
And I am a certified "Cooperholic"!!! These Rugers are not Cooper level shooters but they are a darn fine rifle at a price that doesn't break the bank and for the most part don't need to be "redone" like the Remington "kit guns" do before performing. I've owned them in 22PPC, 6PPC, 25-06, 22-250 and 204 and would not hesitate to try more. I think they are right there with the Savage VLP's as far as out of the box accuracy. Have toyed without the idea of messing with one in 6.5Creedmore.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Devastation View Post
I've owned several of the VT or Target Gray versions and they have been the most consistently well performing models of anything with the Ruger name on it I have ever messed with.
And I am a certified "Cooperholic"!!! These Rugers are not Cooper level shooters but they are a darn fine rifle at a price that doesn't break the bank and for the most part don't need to be "redone" like the Remington "kit guns" do before performing. I've owned them in 22PPC, 6PPC, 25-06, 22-250 and 204 and would not hesitate to try more. I think they are right there with the Savage VLP's as far as out of the box accuracy. Have toyed without the idea of messing with one in 6.5Creedmore.
I agree with all of that, and I have and love Coopers. I am just more trying to figure out, if they are so bad as you hear, why aren't there more of them on the used market. They are there, most of the time, and never very numerous.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:05 AM

Had one in 22-250. It would shoot cosistent 3/8 -1/2 inch groups. I hate two-stage triggers though and couldn't adjust mine down to my liking so I swapped it out for a rifle basix trigger. I couldn't adjust the pull weight down enough so I sold the gun to a buddy who wanted it. Solid gun though for the money, at least when I bought mine.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:38 AM

Got one for sale in the classified that gave me the smallest single five shot group I ever fired. Cheap too, take a look.