Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-03-2020, 06:58 PM

I think it may also depend on when the USMC changes rifles of choice for their sniper rifles from year to year.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
BCB, that article, if the date is correct, shows 2017, by this person.
Older articles have said B&L or Leupold scopes. Again who has it correct ?

Bill, its not surprising that there are different versions of what is correct. All of it is history to some extent whether its 2017 or 1969 when it's written by someone else... I simply did a quick search and the link that I provided above jumped up with what I thought was pretty good information based on far more than what the author at the link wrote. YMMV, of course.

Below is a link to an interview done in 1993 which also involves history. The difference here is the person being interviewed is Carlos Hathcock himself. It's a video I've watched several times in the past since it first appeared on U-tube as it truly describes a lot about the man beyond what he used for a rifle scope. Again its in his own words. I will add that watching the entire video is very informative about why he was good at what he did.

HINT: For me this is probably the best record of what he used for a scope since it comes from his own mouth and not from someone else writing history about him. Go to roughly the 21:40 point in this video and listen closely to hear what scope he describes as using on his rifle and also using on a 50 Cal M2 to make a 2500 yard shot for one of his kills with one shot fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIWEMiCg8I

I know that Wiki isn't always the best source of information, but maybe the person who wrote this also listened to the same video. But in reality I'm guessing that he did more research than that. Scroll down to "Weaponry" and take a look...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

There definitely exists the possibility that as the war progressed and new technology came out, the choice of scopes might have changed. That is one thing that happens in war time...technology changes things quickly sometimes.... In addition, since being a sniper was not a common thing even in the 1960's military, maybe more than one brand of scope was used by other snipers...? Keep in mind tht Carlos was a Marine and they didn't always use what other branches of our military, specifically the Army, used.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Enjoyed that BCB. It does looks like the favored or scope used was the Unertl. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Enjoyed that BCB. It does looks like the favored or scope used was the Unertl. Thanks.

Keep in mind that Hathcock was early Vietnam in terms of snipers.

Notice what #2 on the Vietnam sniper list and a fellow Marine, Chuck Mawhinney, used later on.........

https://www.worldwars.com/deadliest-...e-vietnam-war/

This was pretty standard for US Army snipers....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M21_Sniper_Weapon_System

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-03-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:00 PM

Now days the use of several make and models are used. Even a good number of Barrett in 50 BMG and some smaller cartridges.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Bill K and Bayou City Boy,

I have his book here somewhere which I will have to read again as it has been some time since I read it. I knew about the Winchester and the Unertl scope. Thought I had read he also used a Remington 700 rifle later on ???

I had a person try to buy one of these scopes and to be honest I cannot remember if he said he was building a Hathcock Remington 700 imitation or maybe he just hinted at that. Been to long I am afraid.

The below link is an article which gives details of sniper weapons used during the Vietnam conflict. It also shows a Remington M40 topped with a Redfield 3-9x40 scope. As Bill and Bayou have said, not surprising on what was said to have been used.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...torial-gallery

This has turned out to be a very interesting post.
Pete
Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM

From all the information and articles about the various sniper rifles, scopes and all used during the various wars and conflicts, it is obvious that a variaty were put to use.
All of them served their purpose in some very capable soldiers and marksmen, and don't forget some of the snipers were women, mainly with the Russian forces, but a few are mentioned in other countries as well.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I was sent to Germany instead of 'nam.
So don't know what happened over there much other than
reading and talking to some I knew that were there.

I've been told and read where some of the guys had their own guns.
A couple had Ruger blackhawks in .45 ACP. IF that's true, I'd be very
surprised if rifles didn't make it there too.

I'm sure quite a few on this board were there. Maybe they'd like to
comment on the subject.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I've been told and read where some of the guys had their own guns.
A couple had Ruger blackhawks in .45 ACP. IF that's true, I'd be very
surprised if rifles didn't make it there too.
George I would not be surprised if some snipers did take their own weapons. I know for a fact that during WWII many Australian snipers did use their own personal rifles. The reason was that many of them were ex Roo shooters prior to the conflict and took their work rifle with them over seas.

Pete
Old 08-06-2020, 04:42 PM

When I first joined the 3/5 Cav 9th ID opt to ! Cav in Quang Tri Prov, July '68. We often went in to help the marines get their people out of tough situations, After one of these operations an M40 was left on one of the Acav Tracks. It was a Remington 700 7.62x51 Varmint barrel and a Redfield Accutrack in a Leatherwood mount. I shot it some one afternoon at Fire Support Base Hard Core but the Marines came back looking for their rifle before we could do any more than plink at beer cans tied on the razor wire over the mine field. Probably the most fun shooting I had the whole time I was over there.

I took a .357 S&W back with me on my second tour, taped it to my inner thigh for the flight back. It got stolen one day from my shoulder holster while sleeping after a 36 hour stint of CQ duty. I never used it for anything serious but had fun shooting glass insulators off the abandon power or phone line between Dong Tam and Tan An. when we move people and vehicles after 2nd and 1st brigades had been sent to Hawaii. Boring job for a couple of weeks of road duty.

Lowell.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 08-06-2020 at 04:50 PM.