Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-04-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
DUH... Ya' think...?

-BCB

Your kind of making it sound like it's a .204 issue . The guy asked about an improved .204 and now it's a don't do it because it's an improved .204. Just pointing out to those that don't know, because believe it or not, there are those that search and come here that don't know everything, like some her do.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Your kind of making it sound like it's a .204 issue . The guy asked about an improved .204 and now it's a don't do it because it's an improved .204. Just pointing out to those that don't know, because believe it or not, there are those that search and come here that don't know everything, like some her do.

You're reading between lines that dont exist in everyone's mind. It's not about an improved 204 cartridge. My comment was about a 204 chamber with a short throat. Maybe two different breeds of cats in the same litter, but that is where the discussion went. I was simply responding to several others' comments about clarifying a short throated 204 Ruger chamber with a clarifying barrel stamp for the next guy who might own the rifle. And with that matter in context for any cartridge, a special barrel stamp would be the obvious, safe, and prudent thing to do regardless of caliber or cartridge.

Sorry to have ruffled thine feathers in the process. I hope that the rest of your day goes well.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 PM
Supporting Member

When I bought a .204 in the CZ Varmint Kevlar with the HS stock on it that model had just come out. A lot of discussion was going on about the .204 and how they should have just used the .20 Tactical because in a lot of guys view it was a better round then the .204. I didn't see it as a fair comparison because by being a wildcat the .20 Tac's were built by smiths on custom barrels and to tighter tolerance's etc.
Stock the .204 I got was a half inch rifle if I stretched the 39 Blitz-King or some of the 32's out close to the lands but with it's giraffe like throat that meant stretching the OAL out to much to fit in the magazine.
I sent it to Greg more for rectifying the OAL issue and making it a fair comparison between the .204 an my custom .20 Tac than anything. He made it a minimum spec, zero free-bore chamber with a snug but no turn neck, he bushed the bolt and straightened it out a bit as well.
I bought a fair amount of WW .204 cases and weight segregated them into MTM boxes of 50 like I do with most rifles.
Being concerned with the safety issue I have the rifle, every box of cases I have as well as the book I keep with a page for every gun I own and in every place available I marked "WARNING" do not fire factory ammo as it is dangerous in this "Wildcat .204" and might well blow up!!!
With the OAL issue no longer a problem, I can now make a 39 grain Blitz-King fit in the magazine and still touch the lands, same-same a 33 V-Max.
Interestingly (at least to me), after working up 39/40 grain or 33/32 grain loads, for both rifles, there is amazingly little difference in ballistics between the .20 Tac I have or the .204. The .20 Tac is "slightly" more accurate with everything but not enough to make any rodent difference and about what I'd expect comparing a 3 groove Super-Match Pac-Nor to an overhauled factory CZ barrel.
The big advantage for the .20 Tac in my opinion is the wealth of .223 brass out there. That's my experience with the two but then I didn't change the angle of the case shoulder, nor do I plan to and none of the rodents that crossed paths with either rifle will argue either .
I'm all for anybody that wants to really wildcat the .204 doing it and I'd love to read the results as well . I do wish both of them had 11 twists too, to late for that however.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Supporting Member

Marking cartridge boxes as being specific to a certain rifle only is a no-brainer, in addition to applying an appropriate barrel stamp on the rifle itself if it has been altered in any way that might affect the use of any and all cartridges that fit into the chamber.

Doing so might save someone's fingers, eyes, and maybe even his toes.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-12-2020, 11:43 PM

I think to answer the OP's question about 204 ackley, 4d rentals has the reamer for rent along with some dimensions on their website . the specs are pretty straight forward as the case body shoulder junction is blown forward for the 40 degrees and the neck shoulder junction is about .002 crush. not the normal .004 but close.
as far as the 204 match specs, the only difference in the print is .050 less free bore. in the one I built, it still has more free bore than I would have liked. I'm sure it could have been ordered with less. I simply said I want a 204 match and that is what I got. BTW that 204 shot the smallest group I have ever shot in my lifetime to this day and it was with factory ammo. unfortunately I built it for someone else, so I don't even get the pleasure of shooting it.. my 2c FWIW
Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Supporting Member

If whoever you're building it for lets ya know what they end up with perhaps you could pass it back to the site, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know?"
Good luck on it .
Old 08-13-2020, 06:56 PM

If GHD - groundhog devastation ever stops back in here he can shed some light on the 204 Ackley, because he had a 204 re-chambered by Badger Bob. We shot it and ran it over his chronograph. Don’t recall the FPS but it did group well with 39 & 40 grain. I believe he was scared he would burn out the barrel and sold it...
Old 08-14-2020, 11:09 AM

Default Very interesting thread....

After selling my model 700 204,I was missing having that niche filled in my arsenal and was lucky enough to recently find a couple X-R-100s.Now I feel like all is right once again.To make matters better I had gotten some components from Al Nyhus for 20 caliber and some loaded rounds for a 204 even though at the time I was 204 less.Long story,short I took one of the XRs to a local Hunter BR match
and managed a second place after hastily putting a scope on the gun and throwing the first couple of shots due to user error.Needless to say I was very pleased with the rifle and ammo/cartridge.Perhaps I will pick which one shoots better and have the others barrel set back and Ackley Improved just for fun,I always said this site can be detrimental to a persons wallet
Matt
Old 08-17-2020, 12:46 AM

I have been running a 204 Ai for 6 years now and love it. People said it wouldn’t be worth it and would be a waste of time and money but it hasn’t . My first barrel was a savage 204 I set back before the fastest I could go with a 40 gr Berger was 3780 before I would see pressure signs after Ai the barrel I ran them up to 4200 and some change with no problem. My next barrel I went with a fast twist 1&9 Kreiger so I could shoot the 55 Berger I found a sweet load at 3536 that shot amazing. It has been my favorite gun and lasted 3800 rounds before groups started to open up more than I would like so I am in the process of building a new one. The 204 Ai has been the funniest hun I have ever built.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:08 PM

My smith took a 204 Ruger heavy barrel and rechambered it to 20-223 AI for me. No real difference except brass is about a tenth the cost. I already have a 223 AI so some new neck bushings on the Type S die and I'm in business. Going to test fire it today.