Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-25-2022, 08:00 PM

Default PD Wyoming Hunt

Earlier in the week I was in Gillette Wy on a PD hunt. I was on private land as well as BLM land. The first place I stopped at looked to be a target rich environment. I could see quite a few mounds, but some could not be seen due to the grass around them being a little high. However activity was slow due to rain in the early morning hours, heavy cloud cover and 47* when I got there. A few were moving around, but the others stayed down. There was no wind at all as can be seen by my wind tail in the first photo. They slowly started coming out after a few hours and with little to no wind, the shots with my 20 VT were very easy. The wind would slowly come up and go back down and I would switch from the 20VT to a .223.

Pictured: 20 Vartarg, Remington 700 SA, 15" 10 twist McGowen barrel, Nightforce SHV scope in a modified ARS stock.

Not Pictured: .223 Remington XP-100, 16" 7 twist McGowen Barrel, Nightforce SHV scope in a McMillan XP-100 stock.

The next day, I shot from my tripod or a bag off the rear of my truck bed. I was on the move most of the day going from one dog town to the other. The weather started off cool, but there was bright sunlight and the dogs were really active. The only drawback today was the wind, someone left the door open and it was at least a 25 mph wind gusting a little higher. I was shooting in one spot and I could see with binoculars, a bunch of dogs on a hill side not too far from where I was. I didn't set up my shooting bench this time since I was on the move. By walking around and using my tripod, I was able to shoot with the wind and hit ratio came up significantly.

At the end of 2 days of shooting, I must say it was a great time and ready to go back next year.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:02 PM

Great looking hand guns.
There are a group of hand gun shooters in that area.
I think Specialitypistols.com is located in Sundance.
They have a shoot or more every year.
Is that a BR pivot bench ?
Hal
Old 06-25-2022, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the good story and pics...what fun.
What the swivel bench brand? And did you anything about plague in that area?
Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:27 PM

Thank you for the post. We love stories and photos of this type. Nice firearms.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:20 PM

The Specialty Pistols guys were shooting steel on the same property I was on. They had a good turn out and was shooting out to 1000 yards plus.

The shooting bench was two years in the making. Lots of things going on, moving, knees surgery etc... and just couldn't get it complete until recently. I found the base at a pawn shop. The guy didn't know what it was or how long he had it. The legs came from a scrap metal yard and I was able to cut out sections that I needed. I had the center post made up with a trailer hub and it gives very smooth rotation. The top was a design from another PD shooter and he provided all the dimensions. I really like the top since it gives the shooter elbow room on both sides. I took the black seat off a broken stool and attached it to the seat support. My son is in the military and found it somewhere and sent it to me. Overall, the table has worked out really well.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Thanks for the good story and pics...what fun.
What the swivel bench brand? And did you anything about plague in that area?
Thanks again.
I didn't hear of anyone talking about the plague in the area I was in.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
The Specialty Pistols guys were shooting steel on the same property I was on. They had a good turn out and was shooting out to 1000 yards plus.

The shooting bench was two years in the making. Lots of things going on, moving, knees surgery etc... and just couldn't get it complete until recently. I found the base at a pawn shop. The guy didn't know what it was or how long he had it. The legs came from a scrap metal yard and I was able to cut out sections that I needed. I had the center post made up with a trailer hub and it gives very smooth rotation. The top was a design from another PD shooter and he provided all the dimensions. I really like the top since it gives the shooter elbow room on both sides. I took the black seat off a broken stool and attached it to the seat support. My son is in the military and found it somewhere and sent it to me. Overall, the table has worked out really well.
It does look very sturdy and smooth! Nice
Old 06-26-2022, 03:13 PM

Default Very nice...

Been to the Cold Turkey shoot a few times, great group of guys.
I think Wyo-Shot happens just about the same time of year as well. Never been able to make both shoots.Country looks familiar love it,thanks for sharing your hunt and photos.
Matt
Old 06-26-2022, 03:31 PM

There are 3 different handgun shooting matches in the area now around the same time. They have scheduled them so as not to interfere with each other. Some shooters shoot all three, some two or only one.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:23 AM

There are three match's this month.

Wy-Shot at Gillette
the MOA in Sundance
Handgun Hunters Competition in Newcastle

Are you shooting any of these?