Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-25-2022, 01:58 AM

Default 30 grain Varmint Grenades in 22 Hornet, 218 Bee

Does anyone have experience with them in slow twist rifles?

Midway has them on sale. I’m thinking of picking some up to try in my Model 43s, but am concerned they may not stabilize in the 218 Bee. My Hornet has 20 inches of good 1:14 barrel off a shot out 22-250 barrel, so I’m not so concerned about them stabilizing in it. I’m thinking they are probably still shorter than the 46 grain Bee bullets, but there isn’t much info out there on them.

I sure wouldn’t load them for our Model 65.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...173486#reviews
Old 09-25-2022, 01:19 PM

I use that bullet in 1-14 and 1-12 with great success 22 Hornet thru 223, 22-250 is ok if you slow it down to mid 223 speeds, they do make a mess of things, almost as well as a 35gr Vmax, in a 65 single loaded they work just fine but fumble fingers when you need a follow up just is not worth it. said bye bye to mine earlier this year do miss it
Old 09-25-2022, 04:41 PM

The Model 65 can be a two shooter. One in the chamber and one in the magazine. That being said, I usually load flat point bullets to shoot in ours.

That little rifle has taught me a lot about what is important. Kids love to shoot it and it is hard for them not to lose about 15-20% of your brass. Kids having fun is way more important than not losing brass. So much so that the latter shrinks to insignificance when compared to the former.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:31 PM

I've used the Barnes 33 grain Varmint Grenades in a CZ 22 Hornet with a 1-16 twist. They were fine. If any complaint it would be how fast they drop off after about 125 yards. bottom seems to fall out.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:22 PM

My 1 in 16 Annie shoots well with the 30 grain Barnes but will keyhole the 36 grain Barnes.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:58 PM

Thanks so much!! I would like to try them, but the last thing I need is yet another remainder a large box of "orphan" bullets sitting here that had I ask others before buying I would have have not bought in the first place. My buddy is making an order soon, I think I will give them a try.

I go through a LOT of bullets, but mostly of the same dozen or so bullets. That being said, 90% of the space here for bullets is taken up by "orphans." I have been whittling it down by trading orphans with others with the same predicament, but their orphans are bullets we use and giving the Sisk, Zipedos etc to guys that will get a lot more enjoyment out of adding them to their collections than we would by shooting them up.