Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 AM

Somewhere I've got a 17LN case. That would be a GREAT choice to build a BR gun on.

Aaron
Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 AM

Cajun, how does that plate work? Looks like something pushes cases down into different neck sizes and shoulder angles?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:36 AM

holes drilled in plate steel that step down from .338 to .14 in .08" increments if I remember correctly . Search the archives as Blaine posted the specs for DIY

once you set the shoulder back, I use the plate to reduce neck size using a case holder and drill press

Blaine loved wildcats and even produced a DVD "Wildcatting Made Easy" that was sold with the plate and separately

sorry for the poor pic

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 11-13-2015, 04:22 PM

Fwiw the 25gr Berger is 3.28 calibers long. .02 calibers within Harold's 3.3 very interesting. I had been looking for a ratio to transfer from 66gr 6mm and 52gr 22's down to 17 cal. Bergers 52gr match is 3.18 and I know their 55gr match is a little longer.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Supporting Member

The Lil Nasty is probably the most constant, accuracy wise, of all the 17 different 17 calibers I've built. Using Blakes load, the first 5 shot gp was a .125 gp. Saying that I had to fiddle with mine. I had the threads cut off and rechambered to a .175 short PPC with 40* shoulder. I never screwed it back on the Panda, go figure. Neil Jones can make you a set of loading/forming dies that makes forming a breeze.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold M View Post
Very informative posts, Cajun! That plate makes more sense than those universal case forming dies I've used in the past. Case body wall support doesn't exist in either and apparently isn't needed. I wonder if the Sinclair gadget that connects a Lee shell holder to a cordless drill would work to hold the cases.

And you've certainly shown some bullets with promise. One in ten twist?

I also checked some numbers --- it's interesting to note that winning short range BR 6mm bullets AND the 20 caliber Berger 40 are 3.3 calibers long. I wonder if a winning 17 bullet wouldn't have the same aspect ratio. As to twist - something like 55 (53 to 58) calibers per turn seems to work with such bullets. What works for 17s?

Harold

Mr. Harold and others,

I was introduced to short range benchrest in my early 20's (1990) and became a sponge to the sport. I shot with Walt and Eunice Berger, Tony Boyer, Speedy, George Kelbly, Arnold Jewell, Don Geraci, Francis Broussard, and many others at local shoots.

My goal was to duplicate the 6PPC and 22PPC short "accuracy" in a 17 caliber cartridge. Lapua brass, N133 powder, and match grade bullets were "no brainers" for this foundation. I did lots of math and asked dozens of questions to people in the know.

Blaine Eddy had already created the 17DT (PPC -.100" short) to shoot song dogs as his pet load was 24.5 grs of R15. His goal was to duplicate 17Rem velocity but using more efficient brass that could be pushed to the limits. N133 was too fast for the DT as Blaine and I decided -.180" would be perfect for my quest. The magic load is around 21.5 grs of N133 which will push the 25 gr Berger at 4150 fps.

I don't shoot as much as I used to b/c I have teenage kids active in sports. I still have the small caliber passion and am building a custom 20VarTarg right now. Should be done by Christmas

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 11-15-2015, 06:29 PM

I have a 17 Remington in a cooper. Super accurate with 20 gr. Vmax and vv135. Had no problem hitting PD' s out over 500 yd.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Not sure I asked earlier but what would be the twist recommended for ultimate accuracy to 200 yards? Ofcourse bullet length is an issue so part of the answer I'm looking for would be should I bother with the various 29&30gr for or focus on 20-27gr in a 1-10"???
Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 PM

I'd be looking at the 25gr berger match target bullets. Should be able to use a 10t for that one. I'd still get a 9 so you could shoot up to the 30's just so you can test all the bullets out there.

Aaron
Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

If you think yer rifle might want to shoot the 25 grain VMAX, a 9" twist would be a good choice. Some folks with an altitude advantage seem to get away with a 10" twist.