Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM

Default 17 Jet Fire Form load??????

Ok, I have had my TC Contender 17 Jet barrel for near a year now and it is about time i got it out and shot it. I ordered this barrel around a year or so ago and have never shot it, but now spring is comming and I need help. I need to know what powder and how much for my fireform loads?? I have H322,IMR4895,and also WIN748 on the shelf and a few others I know arn't going to work in this litle case, I can pick up another powder if needed (going to try aa2015 once i get the cases FF'ed (if it ever comes), I have had it on order for a month sure wish their was a place close by that stocked more than 3 cans of powder. I am new to loading the 17's and have only been loading for the last couple years. So if anyone is willing to share their info please chime in (the more the better). Nelson
Old 03-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Supporting Member

Nelson, although I am not new to the 17s I am not an expert either so take my words lightly. I have a 17 Jet (21” contender barrel) and really like it a lot! I will share with you what I have experienced with the 17 Jet but am sure others may have experiences that may differ.

(This is my opinion and we know what they are like) If you are fireforming 22 Jet brass I highly recommend to anneal first before fireforming if you have not done so yet. I did not do so and lost too many of the Jet cases due to a crack in the shoulder when it was formed. It is my *opinion* that the brass should probably then be annealed after that first fireforming again but this is just an opinion (no experience). For this reason I also recommend to use DW 360 brass or 357 Max brass instead and if you happen to have a chamber with a longer neck you will be able to trim accordingly… Mine has a longer neck and I like the looks of it a lot better however it probably does not make a nickels worth of diff…

Ok now to answer you question… I used Ramshot Exterminator to fireform at around 3400 fps with the 25 gr HP bullet. However if I should ever form 22 Jet brass again I think that I would stick with H-322 and use a compressed load probably around 16.0 grs (that is just a guess on how much the case will hold) and use the 25 gr bullets. Not to discourage you from trying other powders but for me nothing would perform as well as H-322 and I will not try to look any farther. I did not have H-322, did not want to add another powder to my collection however it is the best in my barrel and I wish that I had not drug my feet so long before purchasing that first lb of it! I Use BR-4 pimers and 25 gr V-Max bullets with the fireformed cases and 18.6 grs of H-322 for a max load. I believe the rimmed case is strong and can handle the higher pressures however the contender barrel is not and I really think the 17 Jet would shine in a nice shooitng Ruger #1!!!

My 17 Jet was great fun shooting PDs last spring running close to 17 Mach IV performance with less powder and barrel heat.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Thaks Gary

Gary
Man I was holding my breath on this one as I thought I would be able to use the starting load I had listed (17.5 gr H322) but it was a full case so I dumped it back. I am new enough to reloading to always check 3 times and then ask someone else first. Is your barrel a Bullberry? if so how much neck turning are you doing with the 22 Jet cases? I do plan on annealing then fire form and then anneal again. Also have you tried AA2015BR powder (Fred at Bullberry recomended it to me back when I first got the barrel about a year ago) I will be trying it in the future but will first work with the 322 as I have it on hand now and want to play with this neat little round before My Cooper in 20 Tactical gets here in a few months. Thanks for the info, look forward to making puffs of black feathers outta the crows in the corn fields and if lucky a few dead groundhogs. Nelson
Old 03-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Supporting Member

Yes mine is a Bullberry. I don't remember neck turning but my loaded rounds measure .1995", my fired cases measure .201" using the 22 Jet brass. I believe mine might be an early one so don’t think for a moment they are the same??? Not sure why but this neck is also about .045” longer than a stander 17 Jet??? (It looks sweet too!) I have never tried AA2015BR powder but if Fred likes it then it may be worth a try. Please let us know how it works if ya try it. Really don’t want to buy yet more powder but always keep an open mind!!! Does 17.5 grs of H-322 fit in a necked down Jet case? If it does then it may be a good fireforming load but I'd start at 16 and work up a couple tenths at a time up watching for pressure signs and keeping an eye on the chrony. It should make for some good shots on the critters you are talking about! I sure hope if there are others out there with a 17 Jet that they chime in and give their experiences too!!!