Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Default stock

There is a guy on Gunbroker that sells a lot of Sako semi inletted stocks and that forearm style is prevalent in a std and thumbhole style. Here's a pic of a L461 I own with one of his stocks.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM

All L461s in 222 Rem had a 14 twist (or the metric equivalent). IMR or H4198 & IMR 8208 with 37 or 40 gr bullets loaded .5 to 1 gr under book max shoot very well in my L46, but it has a 16 twist. I'm guessing the wood is a light (blonde) walnut, unstained & beautifully figured. Nice rifle!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM

21.5gr. Re#7 with 40 Vmax, 40 Barnes Varminator or the 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. All are good 3/8" loads.
If you want the best the rifle will provide, 52gr. or 53gr. Match bullets and 4198 or Re7.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Some additional info on the stock I should have included is that it was already on the rifle when the previous owner purchased it from the original owner 25 - 30 years ago as he put it. So I am only the third care taker of this fine rifle. I am leaning towards the wood being maple but I wouldn't rule out blonde walnut, regardless it is a nice piece of lumber. It does bear a striking similarity to the Fajen stocks posted.

If I can find a set of dies and get a load worked up, the rifle will be coming along for our annual Sage Rat shoot in May. Which is why I am leaning towards getting a 40gr Vmax load worked up that it likes. I figure a 40gr Vmax at about 3,200fps should make for some impressive results without having to push up against max recommended loads. I will also have to do some experimenting with the 50gr Vmax. Looks like RL#7 and 4198 are the two powders to give a shot first and go from there.

One thing I do know, this may be my first Sako but it certainly won't be my last. I originally was looking to find a L46 or L461 to convert to a 20 Vartarg but when I came across this beauty I knew I couldn't hack her up so she will be staying in .222rem.

So if anyone knows of a dealer with a Redding deluxe 3-die set available please let me know or if someone has a set they are wanting to sell please drop me a PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Seems all Redding dies are hard to find lately. The only thing I see available is a two die set from Midway. I just lucked out and found a Type S bushing die set from a private party. Check with Custom Reloading Tools, he may have the set you are looking for. I know he has a set a CH dies.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

[quote=Ferris Wheels;196536]Some additional info on the stock I should have included is that it was already on the rifle when the previous owner purchased it from the original owner 25 - 30 years ago as he put it. So I am only the third care taker of this fine rifle. I am leaning towards the wood being maple but I wouldn't rule out blonde walnut, regardless it is a nice piece of lumber. It does bear a striking similarity to the Fajen stocks posted.

QUOTE]

Reinhart Fagen offered a Fancy Grade Special Selection stock in Walnut, Fancy Maple and Myrtlewood. I think your stock is likely Myrtlewood. Here is a picture of a Myrtlewood blank that would look a lot like it when finished in the Satin Oil finish that Fagan did these stocks in.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Sure do wish these four myrtlewood blanks I bought had
grain like that. I'd sure be happy then.

Fiddleback that's thick runs like those two rifle stocks is usually in maple,
but, other woods have them at times too. Sure makes a stock look nice imo.

Thanks for sharing these beauties with us.
My 461 has a cherry stock I got from a friend in Md from a big dead tree
in his yard. Wish I could find someone around the area that could/would post the series of pictures I have of the dead tree, blanks, stock in the works and the finished rifle another member here took of it on it's way home from the 'smith that day. Sure beautiful.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 AM

Default 222 Rem Loads

Never used 40 gr bullets, but 50 gr TNTs with 20.5 gr of old Rel 7 and older Rem 7 1/2 primers are very accurate in a 20" HV barrel 40X but slow at 3000 fps. 52 gr Speer HP with 23.5 gr of H322 and Rem 7 1/2 (new style) 3200 fps for another 222 with a 27" skinny barrel 40X Rem.

Chuck
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Ferris Wheels - maximum book loads in the .222, with the best powders run 3,550fps to just over 3,600fps with 40gr. bullets.

3,200fps is what my .22 Hornet gives with 40gr. HP's and Vmax, even in WW brass with 'book' loads.

That low velocity works quite well, but why make a hornet out of a .222?

If you are new to loading, then I understand your thoughts on shooting squib loads, however, your Sako rifle will handle all book loads listed for it. Also- my own L461 did not shoot it's best until I was using loads 'near the top'.

My Lee book lists 22.0gr. RE#7 at just over 3,600fps as being max for the .222 with 40gr. bullets, however my most accurate load was 21.5gr. as noted above.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 EXTREME View Post

Reinhart Fagen offered a Fancy Grade Special Selection stock in Walnut, Fancy Maple and Myrtlewood. I think your stock is likely Myrtlewood. Here is a picture of a Myrtlewood blank that would look a lot like it when finished in the Satin Oil finish that Fagan did these stocks in.
Extreme I think you are correct in this being a Fajen stock in Myrtle wood after looking at some additional photo's of finished Myrtle wood online.

Daryl you are correct that I am leaning towards lighter loads and nailed the reason why, being new to reloading. After your post though I am going to modify my approach and work up close to max book loads watching for over pressure signs and seeing the effect on accuracy. Since most of the trigger time this rifle is going to see is shooting sage rats a 40gr Vmax load pushing 3500+ fps would be ideal. Also looking to try some 40gr Nosler if I can find some in stock.

I am quickly realizing that reloading is a disease because I am buying 100 bullets here, another 100 there because I don't yet have them in my inventory, 100 of this primer, 100 of that primer and it is all so I can have an extensive on hand inventory to pull from for doing load development. Also because what is on the shelf today might not be there tomorrow and who knows how long it is going to take to get back in stock.