Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Supporting Member

I currently have a Lilja being put on a 20 Vartarg and was looking for another barrel for a TAC 20 build. Another Lilja would probably be just fine but I'm not married to any barrel manufacturer. I have heard lots of good things about Bartlein, but a PacNor would be just fine with me as would many others. Numbers speak loudly sometimes and a group like this who has good results with a particular barrel brand could mean a lot of future business for that company. Marketing/Google 101. Anyway...... in the end, I would like to buy a really good barrel and save some cash.

The one thing I don't want, is to feel like I'm doing a company a favor by buying their barrel.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

I am not in the market for a barrel but I would not be interested
in any of first few 20 caliber barrels anyone run. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default im with you

[quote=sicero;198016]I am not in the market for a barrel but I would not be interested
in any of first few 20 caliber barrels anyone run. Kenny[/QUOT

i dont want to be a barrel test pilot, i know lilja and benchmark are great and they are in stock.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM

I bought two 1 in 9s maybe 6 years ago now, still on the first one, superb barrell. I guess with Todd Kindler having his wings clips a bit when the rifle maker he was involved with went under and the loss of Small Caliber News then the driving force behind 20s has reduced significantly.

Its now only sites like this where the benefits of 20s are discussed by those who actually shoot them as opposed to armchair snipers on some other forums that the benefits of 20s over 22s are aired.

A
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM

I have used McGowen Barrels out of Kalispell, MT for several 20 caliber chamber jobs. They have shot very well and have a number of twist that they use.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

One thing about Bartlein is the various bore/groove/twist options they offer. I'm not sure if there's any other company that will work with you like Bartlein does. My last was a heavy varmint contour, I wanted a 9 twist with 5R rifling for my 257 AI. I got a very fine barrel from them. If I'm looking for something special again, they will be my first choice and I'll plan around their delivery times. It is a shame they not making 20 cal though.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Makes a great barrel.however with their attitude and all the other great barrel
makers out there I think I would choose another brand
Matt
Their attitude? Can you plead explain I'm not aware of this.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 AM

Default I guess...

I meant their attitude about not making 20 Caliber barrels.
Perhaps I should have said that I'm disappointed that a good barrel maker
would choose to stop making their 20 barrels.I guess they certainly have the right to do so,and put their efforts into what does sell makes more sense anyway.
Matt
Old 04-13-2014, 04:06 AM

Generally if you make the best product with a good price you have the most customers, they seem to have not so many cutsomers for 20 cal barrels, so I would imagine that others have a better product or price. People buy for a reason, usually quality and price, with price probably being second with high end barrels. Me, I will settle for a nice Green Mountian 20 cal barrel for $95.00 and 4 day delivery. Larry
Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Generally if you make the best product with a good price you have the most customers, they seem to have not so many cutsomhard for 20 cal barrals, so I would imagine that others have a better product or price. People buy for a reason, usually quality and price, with price probably being second with high end barrels. Me, I will settle for a nice Green Mountian 20 cal barrel for $95.00 and 4 day delivery. Larry
I called them a while ago to order a 20 cal barrel and found out they didn't make them. When asked why, they said the 20 cal tooling is small and hard to work with. Breaking the tooling was one of the problems.